BMW diesel engines better than the Audi

p1tse

Reaction score
I've been thinking of an estate, A6 avant of 5 series touring

Audi has an advantage of quattro

But BMW engines seem to get better reviews and on paper more power, economical etc.
i.e. 530d vs 3.0tdi
the 530d wins on performance and mpg etc.

Then the BMW top trumps Audi with the 535d, a twin turbo 3.0d.

Why has Audi not responded with something similar?

The 535d is awsome!!! Torque and power is unbelieavable!!!

But running costs are high and the auto box on the Beama isnt as good as Audis. Depends if you want auto but the 535d are all autos.

I'd choose A6 but thats because ive had both the 5 series and an A6.

Good luck deciding

What running costs are higher on the Beema?

Which 5 series did u have

I had the 530d but was auto. I found I was only getting 26mpg from it but think alot was down to the auto box, it was slow to change up.

Service costs wern't cheap either.

I will admit though, I do think the Beama engines are better, esp the diesels!

530d would be a contender

I thought bm auto were better?

If a6 would be quattro as want auto

Maybe the newer auto boxes are better, mine was about 5 years old. The box itself was smooth enough just not as quick to change gear so on start off it took ages to get to 6th and economy.

The engine though was gutsy, quick and loads of torque!

ah interesting as my budget would mean it would be a 2005 model on both really

well just test drive each first and see how you feel the auto box reacts, maybe it was just mine. But the low mpg spoiled it for me tbh, shame as the car itself and engine were brilliant.

Bro in law has a 330cd auto and a mate has a 335cd

Been in the remapped 335d recently and said I never use the manual option on my auto box, dsg I have bit he mentioned he does cos not the quickest going up the gears

I've been thinking of an estate, A6 avant of 5 series touring

Audi has an advantage of quattro

But BMW engines seem to get better reviews and on paper more power, economical etc.
i.e. 530d vs 3.0tdi
the 530d wins on performance and mpg etc.

Then the BMW top trumps Audi with the 535d, a twin turbo 3.0d.

Why has Audi not responded with something similar?

A6 3.0 TDI with remap = problem solved!

What's original bhp and torque vs remap increase?

The wife drives it too with te little one on board so maybe quattro would be better

Im actually turning to the bmw way, been in a few lately and the diesels are impressive. All RWD (right wheel drive) so less potential problems there compared to quattro and more efficient! My bro has a 320d touring msport and its awesome, been in an eqivilent A4 and they have nothing on it. But of course members of an audi forum will usually go for the audi

Very true

Rwd obviously the drivers choice but then I'm looking for space comfort pace and safety

AWD certainly has its benefits in the Brittish Climate.

I think the a6 run a different awd system compared to Audi tt or r32, but in the wet it's planted and in the snow it's managed it just about

But watching topgear clarkson driving the 535d in the wet I was surprised how well it gripped in the wet

My other half has a 535d M Sport, remapped, and its an absolute weapon. I'd pick that over an A6 any day of the week.

Last edited:
I am not bihest toward audi's and do like bmw's although i find the interiors of bmw's is *****!

Besides i prefer the quattro's as i found out last winter, got up a hill many other cars could not, all those front wheel and rear wheels were all over the place, brilliant!

Rwds are a f*****g nightmare in heavy rain and snow, yeah the bmw's diesels are impressive as i have test drove a few and they are alot more involving than audi's.

Im happy with my 3.0 TDI A4 remapped at 275bhp, soon to hopefully get it to 300bhp, i prefer the safety of the 4wd.

You pays your monies and makes your choice!

BMW diesel engines better than the Audi? Hell no!
Agreed the 535d is a gem but the rest of the diesel engines have a flaw in design. The inlet manifolds contain swirl flaps that open and close to help emmisions. Over time these can break and get sucked into the engine, through the turbo and cat. Just search for "swirl flaps" in google and prepare to be shocked! It's like a ticking time bomb. This is exactly what happened to a friends 320d 70k on the clock and the swirl flaps broke. He eneded up forking out £2700 for an engine rebuild new turbo and cat.
I was going to buy a 330d M Sport but after reading these stories I opted for an Audi.

Lauryn, what remap is running on the 535d?

Damzo, how you upping the bhp further?

one negative for the 3.0tdi Audi post 2006 the road tax is £400+

just had a read about swirl flaps. seems like an issue, but can easily be fixed by removing them and blanking them up.

lots of emphasis on safety of AWD, but providing your not hoofing it round corners, there wont be an issue with a lack of safety on a RWD, and the traction control on the bmw is unbelievebly responsive. AWD definately does help in the snow, so you will be only sucker going to work in those 2weeks of the year we may get snow. Anyway I got round in my vivaro van easy in the snow, I didnt need AWD lol. I more than likely will be choosing a BMW next time round