a4 2.5tdi same engine as a6 2.5tdi help pls?????????????

David280585

Reaction score
my a4 2.5tdi cab bdg engine has destroyed itself eg cams broke valves etc,it is the roller rocker engine on a 53 reg 163bhp version,
i have located a 2.5tdi a6 allroad engine ake,are the basic engines the same?and will it fit my car and is £1500 a bit steep? i can easily source 2.5tdi non roller rocker engines but the later 2.5s are hard to find
many thanks guys:icon_thumright:

ake is the early engine, with the chocolate cams and fragile rocker levers, best stay clear imho. as far as i know same engine bar the top end, and yes used in a4 as well as a6 and a8.

thanks for the reply mine has apparently the lobes have broke from the cams and snapped rockers and mine is the later engine,anyone know what engine coded engines will ffit as a bdg is seemingly hard to get hold of many thanks

I reckon the early AKE/AFB/AKN engines are much better than the later ones with cam roller followers ! On the early ones, in the event of cambelt breaks, the valves will hit the pistons and the weakest link-the cast rocker arms- will shatter thus protecting the valves from taking the full blow from the piston. The spring will close the valve and no further damage occurs. On later type, everything will mash-up and will cost thousands to put right. The wear on the early type is accelerated by the impropper oil grade used and has nothing to do with the cams but maybe the poor lubrication. Every early one that i've rebuilt after a cambelt failure had 2-4 bent valves even when it occured at high motorway speeds. I did not have the chance to rebuild a later one but-finger crossed-i will soon !

thats a good point, but i thought they replaced that old system because they wer too fragile and used to end up in the sump for no apparent reason

unsure guys but im hoping i can get an engine of some sort to fit?

I've got an AKE engine in mine, my first one chewed itself up when then the timing belt idler pulley failed, so not really the 'engines fault'.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the only difference between the 163 and 180 engines are fuel pumps/settings. Normally when you buy a replacement engine it's on an exchange basis, but as long as they are happy to supply fuel pump etc so they get yours in return it might be ok. I'm not sure how compatible the different fuel pumps are.

was yours the later roller rocker engine james?
also adamss24 says the ake are the early engine?

My past and present engine are both AKE, I dunno if they're early or late. My car's on an 03 plate, and that engine has been about in the A4 since 2001 and even earlier in the A6 so they can't be that early.

well just bought an ake 60k mile engine so hopefully this will get me back onthe road this summer