EM TuningBadger5
    6th Gear

Status

Average speed cameras

I've been going past the roadworks between J11 and J13 of the M1 quite a bit recently and it got me thinking... how exactly do they work?

Now I know that they time you between two sets of cameras (distance over time etc). I remember reading somewhere that they cant use the cameras to take your average speed over a certain distance (2 miles I think). So my question is this...

Say that there are 4 cameras taking your average speed. Now do they work out your average speed between the first set to the second, then the second to the third and then third to the fourth? So they work out your speed 3 times. Or do they get you between the first to second, and the third to fourth? As it's a new set of cameras? Because that to me explains why you get some people burning past you.

Hoping that makes sense lol
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Between every single one mate. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-4.

BUT I don't understand why so many people seem to be able to drive through them happily at 60+ mph
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    i was informed that if you change lanes from the lane that the camera got you in the the next camera could not calculate your speeds, iv not ever had a ticket from them and iv just gone with the flow,

is a retronaut

Status
    Yeah my dad has said that a few times but I'm not willing to push my luck for the sake of a couple of minutes delay.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Beer God

Status
    Last year I was driving along the A421 near Bedford and was stuck in traffic, alongside the road there was a crew setting up a SPECS camera, at the bottom of the Yellow pole where the concrete base is there was a space you could see through and a cable going to the bottom. Ive noticed on the ones on the M1 there is no cable so I reckon they are fake, Ive done 70+ through them at 4am most Saturday mornings so pretty sure they cant see in the dark.

Still change lanes though like another poster mentioned just incase
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

Lead boot

Status
    I've heard there is a new style acerage speed camera (couldn't tell you what the difference is though) that deals with the lane changing issue they used to have. Not sure about night time though
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I think it's fair to say, if you was sticking to the speed limit of the road in the first place, there would be no need for this thread.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it's fair to say, if you was sticking to the speed limit of the road in the first place, there would be no need for this thread.
    This gets my goat - its a motorway and you can bet your arse no one was working as they all prefer the extra pay for the night shifts, so the whole safety element is bull**** as motorways have the lowest number of accidents out of all our roads (speed kills!!! really???).

You can't tell me you've never driven along a 4 lane motorway where the speedlimit is 50 and not done 70 (when there isn't cameras)

Also how many times have you actually slowed down when the flashing motorway speedlimit signs tell you to do 50 - never i bet.

Do u need a step ladder to get off that pony?

If we were talking about speeding past a school at 3 in the afternoon then I would agree with you (FYI 30mph in a 30 limit at this time in my opinion is dangerous)
    I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post

You can't tell me you've never driven along a 4 lane motorway where the speedlimit is 50 and not done 70 (when there isn't cameras)
    But there's a time and place for it Mike, and when you are driving along a sign posted stretch of M25 lets say, average Speed SCAMeras in action, you really have no one to blame but yourself, if a speed fine comes through your post.

It's like Mobile Speed SCAMeras, why do they always park up on stretches of road where motorists are most likely to speed? If they want these drivers to slow down, stick a permanent flash flash speed camera there, and people will slow down... but getting caught by a camera van, you feel a bit of unjust, as it's almost like entrapment, if you didn't know it was there, but you take it on the chin, as YOU WAS speeding, if you got caught.

2nd Gear

Status
    A fair point.

I just have issues with the whole "speed kills" attitude. No speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills.

My example would be which is more dangerous 100mph on a motorway in dry conditions at 2 in the morning or 30mpg past a school at 3 in the afternoon in the wet? Remember the government propaganda before answering - SPEED KILLS

+ you'll lose your licence for one
    Last edited by MIKE GTR; 5th March 2010 at 15:54.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Also how many times have you actually slowed down when the flashing motorway speedlimit signs tell you to do 50 - never i bet.
    If its the ones that also say 'FOG', you don't actually have to slow down to the speed they say, it's not the law, it's just advisary....

If it ain't in a red ring, ignore it!! lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    If its the ones that also say 'FOG', you don't actually have to slow down to the speed they say, it's not the law, it's just advisary....

If it ain't in a red ring, ignore it!! lol
    Quite right.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Between every single one mate. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-4.

BUT I don't understand why so many people seem to be able to drive through them happily at 60+ mph
    Blimey, didn't know that they were interlinked with eachother! Its like me when I went through them the other day. There was a 911 in the right hand lane and I slowed down to 50 as soon as the first set of cameras came up but the Porsche just carried on! What I don't understand is, it was the first set of cameras, and there was no turn off between the first 2! And this guy disappeared into the distance! Surely he'll have a speeding ticket on his mat in the next couple of weeks?!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    i was informed that if you change lanes from the lane that the camera got you in the the next camera could not calculate your speeds, iv not ever had a ticket from them and iv just gone with the flow,
    I've heared that too. Like a lot of people, I just don't trust it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I didn't bring this up to find a way round speeding through them. I'm quite happy sticking it on cruise and pootling through. It was more of clarification on how they worked. My only 3 points only just came off my license so plan on keeping it that way lol
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

Smell my finger.

Status
    Changing lanes doesnt stop you getting pinched guys.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    I just assume they are all unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured drivers, which is why camera's do nothing to improve road safety (except in very specific stretches of road), they are just provide a very profitable lip service to the "speed kills" lobbyists and do nothing to stop the real killers on our roads. If SPECs camera's were on every road and no one broke the speed limit do you think there would be a significant drop in road deaths? Road death is caused by bad driving plain and simple, but that's just too hard to police.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Beer God

Status

Do u need a step ladder to get off that pony?
    Jojo is an epitome of a model driver, driving as he does with his squeaky clean license and encylopedic knowledge of the Highway Code HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE JOJO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??$?"!$%?%?$"%?$%?"!$?!"$? ?!"$?"!$?!"$?"!?$"!$?$!"$?$"!?$?!$?"$?$"? $

U ***!
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle View Post
    Jojo is an epitome of a model driver, driving as he does with his squeaky clean license and encylopedic knowledge of the Highway Code HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE JOJO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??$?"!$%?%?$"%?$%?"!$?!"$? ?!"$?"!$?!"$?"!?$"!$?$!"$?$"!?$?!$?"$?$"? $

U ***!
    Looks at his licence with 6 points on it for speeding.