Private Plate Questions

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I am considering a private numberplate, if I buy a plate and transfer it to my car, what happens to the original plate? My limited knowledge shows that I can retain the old plate for £105? Seems a bit excessive.

Anyone got any advice regarding this?

As far as I know Chris, the car is fixed to the original plate it's registered with, and a private plate goes over it on the DVLA database, so when you come back to taking the private plate off, you still retain the original plate the car was registered with. Of course if retain the orginal plate, then DVLA would have to issue you a random plate to replace it with.
The £105 to retain the plate is £80 transfer fee, and £25 for retention which needs to be paid annually, or you lose the plate!

When you buy a new car(or used) car for instance, it will only cost you £80 to transfer your reg accross to the new car if you have both logbooks.

So if I pay £500 for a plate, I then have an ongoing cost of £25pa?

So if I pay £500 for a plate, I then have an ongoing cost of £25pa?

You only need to pay the £25 pa retention fee if you want to retain your private plate whilst it's not attached to a car.

I have a private plate and it costs me £105 to transfer it to another vehicle and that's it. £25 to place the plate 'on retention' because it's much easier for the dealer to register the new car with a 'retained' private plate plus the £80 transfer fee. If for some reason I wanted to 'retain' the number but not put it on a car at the moment that's where the annual fee of £25 comes in until it is put on a another car.
Because my plate goes on to a brand new car that has never been register with any number other than my private plate, when I come to sell it and place the private plate 'on retention' the DVLA issued a new number to my existing car based on it's original registration date. If the same is done with a car that has been registered with a normal number prior to having a private plate then they tend to reuse it's original number rather than issue a new one.

I have a private plate and it costs me £105 to transfer it to another vehicle and that's it. £25 to place the plate 'on retention' because it's much easier for the dealer to register the new car with a 'retained' private plate plus the £80 transfer fee. If for some reason I wanted to 'retain' the number but not put it on a car at the moment that's where the annual fee of £25 comes in until it is put on a another car.

Dave, I'm sure your dealer can make the plate transfer instantly with a £80 fee on the day you pick your car up, as they deal with the DVLA direct when registering your brand new car. therefore, your plate is not retained, and transferred directly to your next car, so saving you the £25. But you need to hand over your V5C logbook to the dealership for them to do it.

Dave, I'm sure your dealer can make the plate transfer instantly with a £80 fee on the day you pick your car up, as they deal with the DVLA direct when registering your brand new car. therefore, your plate is not retained, and transferred directly to your next car, so saving you the £25. But you need to hand over your V5C logbook to the dealership for them to do it.

I'm sure you're right Joe but the one advantage of putting the number 'on retention' is that it can be done much earlier. This means that if the DVLA do ask to inspect the donor vehicle, which I must say has only happened to me once, it gives more time for this to be arranged and therefore does not delay the transfer process. I understand the DVLA ask to inspect one in every so many applications for transfer.