Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,572

    Been caught speeding?

    My girlfriend, in her 2003 Megane, went to Flamingo Land yesterday with some friends and when she got there she called me to tell me that she had been spotted with a gun when she was speeding.

    Her story:

    She was going through villiages inbetween national speed limit roads, where the speed limit is 30. She was doing 40 when she was the gunner and slammed on her brakes, but still thinks she was doing over 30 as she went past him. As she went past him, he dropped the gun and looked at what I assume to be a screen that displays the speed.

    He didn't give chase or anything, but I've been told that the guns can read the registration plates.

    For those who have experience in this field; whats the chances of her getting a ticket through the post?

    For general info, shes been driving for about 5 weeks and the cars totally standard.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

    JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,730

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Assuming he was using a radar gun then he would probably have recorded her speed even before she braked, if she slowed down when she went past him it was too late. He would have recorded the speed 100m or more before that.

    "Normally" using a radar gun a Police car would be sat up around the corner to stop the offending vehicle, however that is not always the case. He may have recorded the number plate to send the ticket at a later date.

    With max 14 days (usually less) she would receive an NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) to establish who was driving. If she was doing 40ish she would probably get a fixed penalty, 3 points and 60 - note if she has only been driving 5 weeks after 6 points she would need to retake her test.

    However it's not all bad news It may have been a PCSO doing speed checks to establish if speeding is a problem in the area, or it may have been a copper who only targeted the very worse offenders that day.

    It's a case of wait and see I think. Let us know

    Check out Pepipoo for all your questions.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  4. #3
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,883
    Yeah, I think you actually need to be stopped to be prosecuted, unless they have photographic evidence. I was pulled over by a radar gun trap and got 6 points for my troubles(I was doing a silly speed!), and on other occasions, where a copper had a radar gun in his hand and zapped me, I've just drove on, probably within the speed limit.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  5. #4
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks for the replies.

    I think more than anything it is a waiting game.

    She said that it was a marked focus car and he was alone and outside of the vehicle when she got him.

    I'll take a look at that website, thanks again.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

    JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

  6. #5
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,909
    What is the maximum distance they can get you at?

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  7. #6
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,639
    I would ask your girlfriend to be a bit careful as IIRC you get six points in the first two years of getting a license you will have to retake your test.

  8. #7
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509
    Form the account given I wouldnt worry about it.

    Sounds like pro laser, so the ticket would most likely be issued roadside.

    Get your other half to keep an eye on the limits though.....especially through villages etc as they're prime hunting ground (and rightly so)

    T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  9. #8
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Form the account given I wouldnt worry about it.

    Sounds like pro laser, so the ticket would most likely be issued roadside.

    Get your other half to keep an eye on the limits though.....especially through villages etc as they're prime hunting ground (and rightly so)

    T
    I agree it would be the first case ive ever heard of an unmarked car being used as a speed trap.

    Most likly the guy was bored so pulled over and decided to see who he could catch speeding excessivly so he could give chase.

    Unless the guy has photo evidence or can identify the driver i doubt you will receive anything through the post and if you do just deny it or ask for proof before admitting any liability.

    You will find 9/10 that the police issue these things with no evidence because unfortuantly the majority of people do not contest them, easy money for the police.

    Ive heard of cases where the police have litterally just used number plates and a rough location of your car to issue a speeding fine! whether there was a camera there or not.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  10. #9
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,730

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    I agree it would be the first case ive ever heard of an unmarked car being used as a speed trap.

    Unless the guy has photo evidence or can identify the driver i doubt you will receive anything through the post and if you do just deny it or ask for proof before admitting any liability.
    I think it was a "marked" car wasn't it?

    The Police don't need to identify the driver, the NIP puts the onus on the registered keeper to do that. If they fail to do so then the registered keeper will face prosecution.

    I think it was the Chief Constable of Hampshire (?) who got fined in this way?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  11. #10
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    I agree it would be the first case ive ever heard of an unmarked car being used as a speed trap.
    Might be the first you've heard, our unmarked car gets used all the time for speed enforcement operations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    Most likly the guy was bored so pulled over and decided to see who he could catch speeding excessivly so he could give chase.
    Or he was a Roads Policing Officer and was working in a set area thats having problems with excessive speed. Looking at the location, a village on a national speed limit road then it would be no shock if he was tasked to be there. I doubt boredom has anything to do with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    Unless the guy has photo evidence or can identify the driver i doubt you will receive anything through the post and if you do just deny it or ask for proof before admitting any liability.
    I dont think they'll hear anything through the post for this incident.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    You will find 9/10 that the police issue these things with no evidence because unfortuantly the majority of people do not contest them, easy money for the police.
    I think you'll find thats incorrect. No evidence? at all and a tickets being issued?. I'd like to see some stats on that (if you can provide any).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    Ive heard of cases where the police have litterally just used number plates and a rough location of your car to issue a speeding fine! whether there was a camera there or not.
    I cant even begin to think that random number plates and rough locations are being used to issue NIP's is true..... Can you provide any examples to back up these wild allegations?

    T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  12. #11
    1wheelonly's Avatar
    cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Lounge
    Posts
    2,062
    a3tom,
    i take it your plod by the way youve answered and asked questions.
    are you ?
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

  13. #12
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    a3tom,
    i take it your plod by the way youve answered and asked questions.
    are you ?

    Here's a pic of me to answer your question

    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  14. #13
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,572
    pmsl Tom.


    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Hopefully nothings comes of it, but if it does, it does!

    She is very pedal happy, always being in the right lane and being quite naive to her 6 point probation period and this has deffo shaken her a bit. (shes sticking to the limits nicely now, which is good).
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

    JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

  15. #14
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I think it was a "marked" car wasn't it?

    The Police don't need to identify the driver, the NIP puts the onus on the registered keeper to do that. If they fail to do so then the registered keeper will face prosecution.

    I think it was the Chief Constable of Hampshire (?) who got fined in this way?
    Yeah, was a marked focus.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

    JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

  16. #15
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    a3tom,
    i take it your plod by the way youve answered and asked questions.
    are you ?
    Of course hes a copper cant you tell by reading the guys responses.

    He sounds just like an arrogant ***** to me. Part of job that isnt it tom.
    Last edited by Dazmo; 21st July 2009 at 01:45.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  17. #16
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    I cant even begin to think that random number plates and rough locations are being used to issue NIP's is true..... Can you provide any examples to back up these wild allegations?
    T

    Allegations, who is making allegations? think im being interogated here lol

    Obviously you did not read the response correctly before sticking your very long arm of the law into your mouth.

    I said i had heard, cant remember where exactly but whether this was true or not is not for me to know and i could not personally care less, i was simply pointing something i had HEARD.

    So you can step off your high horse now.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  18. #17
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post


    I dont think they'll hear anything through the post for this incident.


    T
    Yeah didnt i already say that?


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  19. #18
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,639

    Post

    lets not start getting petty please people or this thread will have to be locked

  20. #19
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,883


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,609
    Tom,

    Do traffic officers have the power to send you a NIP just by a recording taken on the radar gun? Do they need photographic evidence?

    Currently waiting 14 days myself after over taking miss daisy on the A59 a couple of Fridays ago.

    Thanks
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

  22. #21
    Old-n-crumbly

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    65
    Yes they can - an NIP is served within 14 days, the RO then has to supply driver details
    Grim Ree

  23. #22
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    i done 165 past a copper with a gun yesterday ...got off sweet .lol

    and what all the beef lads its just friendly talk its obvious tom has to answer things the way he does or he would be out of the job if he was just taking the piss on here and was found out

    i think tom's ok he was just stating the fact's , untill i get a ticket then il join the dark side lol .... i acually went though a 30 zone camera at 58 mile an hour was i right to get 6 points tom i dont think i was 2 mph is still under i was gutted , girl was in labour ...****ting camera's my insurance is now a joke

  24. #23
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,909
    Tom is the best person with the most accurate information regarding this situation, everyone elses view is just an opinion and not fact, unless you are also in the job.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  25. #24
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,639
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    Tom is the best person with the most accurate information regarding this situation, everyone elses view is just an opinion and not fact, unless you are also in the job.
    I think you'll find a few more people well informed on the matter on here

  26. #25
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    Tom is the best person with the most accurate information regarding this situation, everyone elses view is just an opinion and not fact, unless you are also in the job.
    Im not disputing that, the guy is a coppa (or so he says he is) so of course he is going to know more than me on the subject.

    I just dont like the way he responded to my post by quoting every sentence and leaving the vast majority of sarcastic and arrogant comments.

    Never the less i intend on joining the police within the next year or so and as such i will leave it at that.
    Last edited by voorhees; 21st July 2009 at 18:16.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  27. #26
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Can't believe some of the naive urban myths being spouted on here. Of course they can do you with a handheld laser or radar gun without pulling you over, most of them now have full photo capability as well as high resolution in order to provide a close up of the drivers face so you can't deny it was you. In many county's you have to plead not guilty in order to get photo evidence, so you can't even get the photo before accepting the NIP, and then you're looking at a court case. Since the safety camera partnerships came on the scene all the usual loopholes have been completely closed, so there's very little chance of wriggling out of a charge, as disputing it just up's the stakes and you could end up with more points and a bigger fine.
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed1.htm
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

  28. #27
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509
    Dazmo, chill out.

    You've made statements about speed enforcement that I wanted you to clarify, because on the face of it they seem to be pretty fictional. I was asking you to confirm/back up what you have said. if you cant/dont want to then thats fine.

    Feel free to keep having a dig if you wish though!.

    If you're planning on joining the Police then you need to be able to accept people challenging what you say, just a bit of free advice.

    T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  29. #28
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Dazmo, chill out.

    You've made statements about speed enforcement that I wanted you to clarify, because on the face of it they seem to be pretty fictional. I was asking you to confirm/back up what you have said. if you cant/dont want to then thats fine.

    Feel free to keep having a dig if you wish though!.

    If you're planning on joining the Police then you need to be able to accept people challenging what you say, just a bit of free advice.

    T
    No worries.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  30. #29
    unkle's Avatar
    Beer God

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Of course they can do you with a handheld laser or radar gun without pulling you over, most of them now have full photo capability as well as high resolution in order to provide a close up of the drivers face so you can't deny it was you. In many county's you have to plead not guilty in order to get photo evidence, so you can't even get the photo before accepting the NIP, and then you're looking at a court case. Since the safety camera partnerships came on the scene all the usual loopholes have been completely closed, so there's very little chance of wriggling out of a charge, as disputing it just up's the stakes and you could end up with more points and a bigger fine.
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed1.htm
    Near enough the same thing happened to me yesterday (Fed with something on a tripod quite well concealed), after reading this thread I was feeling quite chipper until I got to your post . Worst of it is it was a stretch of road that goes from 50 to 40 to 30 in about 150 yds, Id of slowed down properly but some idiot in a tatty old beemer was right up my arse and the worst thing is I doubt they would of been able to catch his reg number as he was that close ot me! *gutted*
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

  31. #30
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    91
    104Mph in a 60mph in my E46 M3 eeeeeeeek, handheld laser, still waiting on court date. Digits crossed.

  32. #31
    Audimad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    256
    Why do people panic when it's too late, all i can say is do not speed in the first place save it for the Nurburgring.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO