Problem after purchasing an audi. PLEASE HELP

You can get plenty of problems from main dealers just the same, you just pay a lot more for the car, warranty and the schmooze thrown in.

what exact model are you basing those prices on ?

You might be right not to name and shame at this stage.

Youve gotta have your wits about you buying cars, even then you can be unlucky

car dealers shouldnt be taking the p.ss though thats not on !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes no name and shame yet.
Currently at APS, lovely chaps and really feel welcomed.
The guys at APS say it would lose nearly 1k of the price.
They have never seen that DVLA to change a car "title" from Audi a3 sport to Audi a3.
They will check the car and a nice testdrive.
So I'll keep you updated..........................

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
has the clutch dual mass fly wheel and cambelt been done, that is the question ?

Have you phoned Audi UK regarding this car to clarify Audi A3 sport to Audi A3

Thats really odd, and if you go to sell the car could be a sticking point for buyers

So unless youre willing to keep the car for longterm I'd get that cleared up

Lovely here at APS and to my surprise they confirmed all the bits fine and all isok.
They not charged me for the work but I have left some beer tokens.
Defo to be back. We need more people likebthis . HONEST PEOPLE ! SIMPLES

Reactions: Nilz
Trading standards say to go and get compensation or to get the spec right by the dealer. I will call Audi now about the "title downgrade "

Yeah thats great news re the mechanical side... very important re the title, I'd speak to DVLA aswell

Good work by APS!!

I would pop to Audi, they should be able to do a history check on their systems from the Service Dept and will be able to get you a decent amount of info from the VIN, do it by this rather than the Reg, as if its been changed, it may not always update straightaway.

Yeah I asked Audi and have them the vin they have confirmed 2 service records.
Funny as dvla knows nothing about the title change. But the rep confirmed thstnon their system its an Audi a3 sport TDI
The trading standards rep is very helpful as well.
So far so good. Next 20 min going to the dealer.
I want at least £700 comp or car back - as trading standards confirmed that the car was mis sold. Push me luck.
Need to calm down. But I know I have the ball in my court

It is a sport edition as far as i know.
i have checked the sticker in the spare wheel compartment and translated it on a website which i don't know anymore.

Went in to dealer and had a word with one of the lads there.
He was keep saying its not there fault its mine cause i haven't checked the spec and blaming auto-trader that the description is wrong.
He was asking me what do i want i said:
1 Compensation.
Would want around £500 -£700 for the bits. the guy quickly offered £150 cause they don't have more as they don't do more then 500 -700 a car profit.

2 Want them to fit the missing bits.
( he said the cant fit the bits)

3 or Full refund
( he asked would i just refuse the car - i said yeap.)

APS made it very clear that a car is very good, no faults in ecu, drivers superb, clutch and flywheel been don and cambelt as well looks brand new.

Personally I would put it in writing to the dealer and say that unless they come up with a fair offer of compensation of £500 that you will be rejecting the car, see what they say, £150 as a start is ok, but you will get more if you hold firm.

Also stop driving the car, or drive as little as possible until you get this sorted

E0A = No special edition
7A0 = Without CD changer/CD player
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
5RU = Right exterior mirror: convex (large viewing field)
1KD = Disc brakes, rear
J0W = Battery 410 A (88 Ah)
1ZE = Disc brakes, front (Geomet D)
1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
UA1 = Rear shock absorption
G38 = Front shock absorption
5MA = Decorative inserts
7X0 = Without park distance control
4R4 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
8GU = Alternator 140 A
0YF = Weight range 6 installation control only, no requirement forecast
L58 = Suspension range 58 installation control only, no requirement forecast
T9G = 4-cylinder diesel engine 2.0 L unit 03G.A
3NZ = Rear seat bench unsplit, backrest split folding
8BD = Halogen headlight
U1B = Instrument insert with mph speedometer, clock, tachometer and trip odometer
X2B = National sales program Great Britain
1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
2PV = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel
8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment
902 = code not found :-(
8Z5 = Not hot country
D3X = 4-cyl. turbo diesel eng.2.0 L/103 kW 16VTDI with pump-jet injection system base engine: T9G/TB3/TM0/TP0/TC3/TD3/TQ0
7Q0 = Without navigation device
CP4 = Alloy wheels 7.5J x 17
7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
3Y6 = Sun screen for rear window
4K2 = Radio remote controlled central locking "SZV"
5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
1SA = Without additional front underbody guard
UG0 = Without hill hold control / hill descentcontrol / comfort driving assist
0GG = Emission standard EU4
QG1 = Service interval prolongation
4GQ = Windshield in heat-insulating glass

THIS IS WHAT THE DECODER SAYS.
Will stop driving it until its sorted. :(

Last edited:
Just try and get more out of them....the dealer has admitted he's done wrong by offering you £150

cruise control is gonna cost you over 400 fitted, bose a lot more !

I think £500 would be a very reasonable settlement for them

Anyway whats happening with the V5 have you asked the dealer !!!!!!!!!!!????????????

The v5 says its an Audi a3 2.0 TDI Sport.
Called DVLA they don't know about any change and their system shows Audi a3 2.0 TDI Sport.
What i have seen is on the MOT hsitory check page from VOSA/DVLA
It shows all history about its MOT's and advisory's.
And it states there the change from Audi a3 TDI Sport to audi a3.

The v5 says its an Audi a3 2.0 TDI Sport.
Called DVLA they don't know about any change and their system shows Audi a3 2.0 TDI Sport.
What i have seen is on the MOT hsitory check page from VOSA/DVLA
It shows all history about its MOT's and advisory's.
And it states there the change from Audi a3 TDI Sport to audi a3.

Thats good, it must be a mistake, ring the mot test centre where it was done and ask them why they noted that

You must be pulling your hair out !

By the way you need to speak to the owner/manager not one of the lads

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so weve established car is mechanically sound, all the bits the garage said theyve done have been done

Car is what it says on V5 (forget the mot note its a mistake)

So wrong spec and wrong number of owners yet to sort out...£150 been offered so far

Talk to manager/owner

OK so we are getting somewhere, stand firm and explain that you would much prefer a refund and be done with it unless you get the minimum £500 compensation off them.

Try and stay as calm and polite as possible for as long as you can, as getting wound up with them, will just make matters worse ( I know sometimes this is easier said than done).

Im sure you will get a good end result mate.

Keep us posted.

If they will let you reject the car then give it then back, but don't complain when you can't find another in the same condition/same spec for the same price, for those asking about what the figures i quoted where based on, it was a 2007 2.0 tdi sport :)

If they will let you reject the car then give it then back, but don't complain when you can't find another in the same condition/same spec for the same price, for those asking about what the figures i quoted where based on, it was a 2007 2.0 tdi sport :)

3 door, 5 door or Sportback that is the ?

and i found this.

Change of details

Registration mark:
TH04AND recorded at time of test, changed to DU07NBO on 18/11/2013 by DVLA.

Make/Model:
AUDI / A3 SPORT TDI recorded at time of test, changed to AUDI / A3 on 18/11/2013 by DVLA.

Ive just been reading through this & hope you get sorted to your advantage.

I don't know if this will ease your mind but I bought a 58 plate S-Line Sportback in 2010 (ish) and got home to get the paperwork out with service history etc only to find the number plate stated on them said xx03 xxx (xx's are the letters I cannot remember). The only consistent thing was the VIN number. It was past Derby Audi's closing time when we found this little gem & we sure as hell panicked!

Cutting to the chase, the first pair of letters was one of the owners initials, the 03 was marriage year and the last three letters were his wifes intitials and to boost, Audi chased up the supplying dealer and got backup evidence that all was well!

Anywan, good luck fella!

Those heart in the mouth moments when you suddenly think youve bought a dog....

Then you realise you have ! :banghead:

Ive just been reading through this & hope you get sorted to your advantage.

I don't know if this will ease your mind but I bought a 58 plate S-Line Sportback in 2010 (ish) and got home to get the paperwork out with service history etc only to find the number plate stated on them said xx03 xxx (xx's are the letters I cannot remember). The only consistent thing was the VIN number. It was past Derby Audi's closing time when we found this little gem & we sure as hell panicked!

Cutting to the chase, the first pair of letters was one of the owners initials, the 03 was marriage year and the last three letters were his wifes intitials and to boost, Audi chased up the supplying dealer and got backup evidence that all was well!

Anywan, good luck fella!

Surely that would have been obvious that it was a harmless plate change, as Audi didnt even make a sportback model of the A3 in 2003!!! The DVLA sell thousands of new reg style plates on their website.

so update.
the owner was not there. So i was speaking with this young fella who looked like owning the place (maybe his son).
He was blaming autotrader for listing the wrong spec.
He was keep saying that its my fault and their system works when they put a reg number in and comes up with the spec.
After pointing out that the LAW says that every dealer must be 100% sure when writing the description is 100% accurate and that is a criminal offence to beef up a description.
After 10 minutes or so he finally cracked and started asking me what i want them to do.
I was keep saying that i would need to discuss that with the owner , but i just said it after all.
(standing firm and really calm in the meantime.)
(I think that the bloke is his son and wife ( she came out the office trying to corner me in).

At this time I just said that i was informed by trading-standards that there is 3 way this can be sorted.
Pointing out that I have not told trading standards the name of the company yet.
And I had loads of printouts of the LAW I was referring to/

1. Compensation

He then asked me how much compensation i'm looking for.
I said around 500-700 just to buy the bits never-mind fitting them.
He then said they are barely making any money on the cars they sell, ( around 600-800 a car he said).
Then offered me 150 pounds , after a short smile at him he could tell that I weren't happy.
I just said that wont even cover the cruise control not to mention fitting it and other costs like a set of BOSE going aorund 300-400 ish

2. Fitting the missing spec.
He said that the missing spec cannot be retrofitted by them.

3. Full refund.
The we got to the last point and asks me if i would return the car just like that.
And just calmly and naturally i said of course its outside here showed him paper work and spare keys i had in my pocket.

At the end i seen i go nowhere whit this lad, there was no reason to keep going and blaming auto-trader for the missing spec and telling me that they calculate the prices for the car and not for the spec. He said the price would be the same without the spec that is missing.

So I ended up saying good by and give a call in next day to arrange a meeting with the owner.
I am just trying to wrap my head around composing an official letter and sending it recorded as even meeting with the owner don't know how far I get.

To be fair I was feeling loosing my temper and then my eyes go black and would end up in trouble.

Hope you can understand all this.

Sorry for typos

Keep at it mate, it sounds like you are making progress.

Realistically I dont think they will offer the 5-700 compensation you are looking for, so I would be preparing to return the car.

Even with them offering the money, I think I would just be para that they would end up doing something to the car!!

Lets hope it works out for you and they do give you the money, you have enough paperwork and documentation as ammo to get them to move a little on it, if not just threaten with trading standards and say you will let them take it on and you have alot more to lose than I do if they get involved.

Again I know its difficult, but try and remain as calm as possible through it all.

I dont think OP wants to reject the car, keep at it

push for more compensation than £150 with a written letter to the owner

well I was worried about him messing my car , but I don't think he wants more trouble.

I wouldnt worry you wont be surprised how often this kind of thing happens, even in main dealers

Majority of people are terrible at complaining and getting things put right, so generally the trader wins !

Thats good if he doesnt want anymore trouble, just keeping pushing for extra money and hopefully there will be a good result at the end of all of this :)

I suggest you go to a few other local dealers and ask them what they would market the car for and then expect to achieve of that value, get at least 3 as a minimum, however much less they offer i suggest you go at him for in compensation.

How much was the car marketed for, we know you paid £7600 but what was the windscreen price?

Saying this however i think you'll find that the prices will come in similar if not higher. (based on the ones i put in the thread before)

Personally I think you've got a good deal, plus you've had a thorough check over it for free by a reputable company and if you're happy then keep it. If you think he's prepared to give you more compensation then go with it but i think he will max out at double what he's offered, its more or less mid way to what your asking at £300.

I mean for a start your asking for 500-700, rather than an actual figure, surely you don't expect him to say, okay ill give you 600. If he was hiding something about the car that would come back and bite him on the **** he would just take the car back off you.

If your going to ask for compensation you need to ask for an exact figure, he's not going to take you seriously if he thinks your plucking random figures out of the sky.

Just my two pence anyway! Again ;)

I will put it down in the letter that I'm looking for a £500 pound compensation.
And bla bla if he comes back and offers me around £300 il accept that and as you guys said put it down as experience.
Il fit a nice sound system and dynamat my car and that's it.
Thanks for the help and reply's
And as always ; il be updating soon

Last edited:
Surely that would have been obvious that it was a harmless plate change, as Audi didnt even make a sportback model of the A3 in 2003!!! The DVLA sell thousands of new reg style plates on their website.

Thing is, you see a differing reg & go into panic mode - mind you, Audi didn't think of that though!!

what year is the car? As you've said its had an 04 plate on it then an 07 plate