Catalytic converter scrapping... Have I been done

sportstractor

Chugger
Reaction score
Took my old s3 cats down to the scrappy yesterday. I thought I'd get a decent amount for them as they usually contain platinum. The bloke cut them open and told me immediately they were stainless, and not platinum. Reckons he could tell my the honeycomb pattern inside? I argued with him a bit saying they were genuine vw/Audi cats.... So I only got £8 for the pair... Can anyone confirm this as iv never heard of stainless being used as a catalyst...

You got done, only the late cats are stainless, if they were ceramic the monolith inside is white'ish. Worth about 40 quid each in London !

By there reckoning, it's the shape of the honeycomb, if there straight there worth a bit, if there swirly there not worth a lot.

stainless cats are still worth a little more than £4 each ,they are a kind of wavey pattern when you look into them and a lot of high performance cars have stainless cats still would have expected at least £25 each!

Hmmm we do get a fair bit less for scrap in Devon, but I had a feeling it should have been more. Going to have to give them some **** as I use them quite often for work...

sounds like you got royally done buddy. my dad works for a swedish company buying old cats from scrappys and shipping them out there to be processed, pretty sure your average cat is going for near £50 these days. that being said, i've heard him paying as little as £8 but usually for crappy aftermarket things they give you at the likes of quikfit. on the other end of the scale, more exotic cats (from mercs etc) are worth a small fortune!

I took one of my cats (from my 1.9 E46 316) and got offered a tenner for it. Not overly happy, I took it to a place who only buy cats and got £95 for it! Often pays to go to a few places, before settling on which one to sell it to.

all cats contain an amount of platinum. bare in mind it is a tiny amount, its the honeycombe that is coated in it.

should be looking for up to 50 quid really, considering the s3's have 2

Anyone have a more recent price for Cats? mine is a 52 plate S3 so will this be the type with more platinum?

I've been offered £50 for the ones from my 10 plate S3
He said if they're the honeycombed style they don't want them but the small squared ones as in my S3 are worth £50