Opening the door on to your car

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was sat in a car to day wait for the mother in-law to turn up and watching people get in and out of their cars and a couple of them opened their door on to other peoples car.
I sat there and watched them, I also had the intention of mentioning what happened to the car owner if they turned up when I was there.
This got me thinking. If you're sat in your car and someone opens their door on to your car and leaves a mark/dent and you get out and confront them about it.

A part of me struggles to work out how it would go. apart from going "oi, you damaged my car, I want your insurance or funds to cover the cost".
I can't see them being overly willing for you to make a claim for a small mark/dent, what do you say to their insurance company, how do you value a small mark if they wanted to give you cash in hand?

Has any one had this happen to them and proceeded to get their insurance detail or money for the damage?

I was unlucky enough to be in this position Scott! 2nd day of S3 ownership, I parked in an empty carpark, smack bang in the middle to take some pics, and a tw@t in a B5 A4 of all things, decided to park next to me with the female passenger opened her rear door into my car! To say I nearly lost it is an understatement! Unfortunately for me, there was 3 of them and one of me, and the woman denied her door hit my car, despite a dink in my rear quarter, the driver wouldn't let me touch his car to line up the evidence, and the front passenger was a pregnant woman claiming it was stressful, I was onto a losing battle of words.

I had to let it go, but I took their reg, and the pregnant woman decided to stay in the car for fear of me 'doing' something to it!

P!sses me off talking(typing) about it! :mad:

My last S3 had a single dink in the door which was done in a car park at work during the first week of ownership. I was gutted, and because of how hard I'd and to save to buy the car I couldn't afford to have it put right. It ate me up for days, but then I had to try and let it go. In a world where so many people seem to drive people carriers, company cars, and service vehicles you are on a hiding to nothing.

These days even if you try and park away from everyone else you always seem to come back and find at least one other car glued to the side of you. I don't know if people have a psychological issue with the laws of ordering / queueing, but I've parked in Tesco at 6am in a near empty car park and someone will park next to me even though I park a good walk from the main entrance.

It's tough when you love your cars as much as we do, most people probably wouldn't even get where we're coming from.

Thats my point.
What do you do in that situation?
Take the details and phone the insurance or police up and class it as a hit and run?

in my case there was no one about when it happened. Cars come and go all day in the car park, I just remember seeing it as I walked up to the car and my heart sank.

I think if it happened and I was there I'd ask for their details if there was clear physical damage. I'm sure they would refute it and say it was an 'unfortunate' accident rather than a car accident, but surely in law it constitutes damage to personal property, so as long as you can prove it with phone photos it could stand up in a court of law. My only reservation is that it would be a painful process, and the police probably wouldn't want to know if you took that route.

This reminds me of a good friend of mine who doesn't really give a damn about cars. At the time he was driving an old E reg Honda Accord Aerodeck, remember those?, and someone parked an inch away from his car on the passenger side! He had to climb into his car to get in, so in his moment of red mist, he unlocked his car door and kicked as hard as he could on his door against the other car! Instead of making a dink, he put a dent on the other cars rear quarter, he kicked it so hard! lol

It's easy to laugh about it now, but I would not have been happy as the owner of the other car. It was a brand spanking new Rover 400, the MG shape ones!

My lady has a cafe . its a nightmare outside with parking restrictions etc ,so i park up the road .the other week some **** drove into my car ,left a nice dent in my rear nearside arch . i was gutted and angry .then the week later a parking dink in the near side rear door , We had parked in the back of the car park yet some muppet parked next to us and did that . its soul destroying . Some people just hate us having nice motors :(
it really does pee me off !@

Two yrs ago I had a (I think) mint Volvo 850R, anyway it was this time of year & we had all that ice & snow like jojo I parked away from everyone else at my local Tescos.
Long story short came back to the car & it had moved!
Someone had hit it hard on the drivers side rear & moved the whole car!
Now that I can say was a car park ding.
I was gutted.
I had to pay to get it repaired out of my own pocket in the end.

Pat

Had a guy in a crappy Corsa in my local Sainsburys just stand there while his child opened the door against the side of my car 4 or 5 times. To top it all off when I said to the guy "Do you mind mate" he replied with "get over yourself, it's only a ****ing car"

I was so gobsmacked I didn't come back with anything. Just becuase he drives something at the bottom of the motoring evolutionary ladder. was seething all evening

I'm not sure i'm right, but i think they say that car parks are private property and all signs say that you leave your car there at your own risk, so i'm not sure where that would leave any potential claim. It'd be nice if everyone just took a bit of pride in what they drove and had a bit of respect for other peoples cars too.

Had a guy in a crappy Corsa in my local Sainsburys just stand there while his child opened the door against the side of my car 4 or 5 times. To top it all off when I said to the guy "Do you mind mate" he replied with "get over yourself, it's only a ****ing car"

I was so gobsmacked I didn't come back with anything. Just becuase he drives something at the bottom of the motoring evolutionary ladder. was seething all evening

next time let all his tyres down