2004 2.5tdi Cold Starting Problem

76rossco

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new here.

I've just bought a 50K mile 2004 Allroad 2.5tdi and since picking it up last Friday it has not started first time after being left over night (it has been very cold). I've been back to the dealer twice already and had the battery and the fuel filter changed but still it fails to catch first time in the morning. When I turn the key you can hear the engine trying to catch 2 or 3 times before it eventually fires up (takes about 10secs). It has never failed to start and starts first click at all other times during the day.

I'll be calling the dealer in the morning to say its coming back in again!! - I've read various postings on the internet about similar sounding problems but I am a loss to what I should be expecting the dealer to look for - any ideas? I asked them about Glow plugs the first time I was in and they didn't think that this would be the problem.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
I would replace the fuel filter and the plastic valve on top of the filter. Also, replace the fuel leak-off pipes of the injectors. Also remove the engine cover and unplug the coolant temp. sensor plug and see if it starts better. I would also do a diagnostic scan to check the timing or failed Coolant Temp. Sensor. Even with bolwn glow plugs, the engine will start quite easily IF it has good compression. I would also pull the LH Side rocker cover and check the condition of the camshafts...just pray they are ok, otherwise you looking at 2 grand repair...

Thanks for the info - I'll try and unplug the sensor and do a start first thing today. It has only done 50,000 miles so I'd be a bit concerned if there was any camshaft wear but I'll mention it to the dealer. I've not had time to take a movie clip myself but this VW youtube clip shows exactly the problem I have when I try and start first thing in the morning. You can hear the engine trying to catch twice before firing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7s...167622DC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

Thanks for the info - I'll try and unplug the sensor and do a start first thing today. It has only done 50,000 miles so I'd be a bit concerned if there was any camshaft wear but I'll mention it to the dealer. I've not had time to take a movie clip myself but this VW youtube clip shows exactly the problem I have when I try and start first thing in the morning. You can hear the engine trying to catch twice before firing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7s...167622DC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17
I'll take the mileage with a pinch of salt ! Do you have all old mot tests ? You can check them on VOSA's website but even then i wont trust it too much as crooks clock the car prior taking-it to a mot test... I also hope- for your own sake- that it wasnt on "Longlife" service intervals as that means most likely camshaft wear !

thought I'd update on this issue. Problem was with 3 faulty glow plugs - thats all. Car starts perfectly everytime now.

Nice one. How did you test them?

And what sort of job was changing them? I've heard they are very susceptible to breaking....