A4 2.5 TDi Quattro Ground Clearance Problems

rt05492

Reaction score
Since picking up a nice S plate with 95k (now 103k) I have managed to ground out and have to replace both the auto gearbox sump and the crankcase sump. Both these items looked pre damaged and neither occurred during Dukes of Hazard driving, just landing after a humback bridge jump and later hitting a sleeping policeman. So it's ground clearance rather than anything I'm doing. The whole car is a bit wallowy over humpy roads but rock steady on the motorway at 100+.

Are these things bad for ground clearance anyway or is the the damping shot and/or springs getting old and compressed ? The mud flaps also ground out regularly (masking the sound of any real damage) when landing after a big hump or colection of smaller humps - suggests damping not working.

The last thing I want to do is make the ground clearance worse with Chav suspension so I only want advice on OE/pattern or quality replacement stuff that maintains the standard ride height thanks.

Last edited:
I would look at what colour the springs are. I do have a a4 quattro avant and i have lowered the front on PI springs for a 3.0L Tdi and it was too much, after i took them off and replaced the fronts with Eibach Pro springs. With the PI springs i had grounded many times even fitted a metal undershield to protect the sump and engine. Since fitting the Eibachs and the standard Sachs springs, i have no problem whatsoever. Car still looks ok but not grounding anymore.

Local Audi independant informs me that the springs have the correct Audi colour coded bands for the model so I can only assume they are original ones. This is backed up by the full Audi service history which has receipts for replacment broken rear springs. Apart from them I can only assume the suspension is all standard and original.

Iv'e seen 60-70k 'best before' date quoted on other threads for original suspension on Audis, is that a commonly held view ?

Did you mean 'the Eibachs and the standard Sachs springs' OR 'the Eibachs and standard Sachs shock absorbers' ?

Last edited:
meant eibach springs and sport sachs shock absorbers...:icon_thumright:

Over a 100k? Your shocks need replacing. I used Koni FSDs, made a significant improvement. Springs all original as far as i know at 202000 miles