If anyone is considering having their TDI remapped and is a bit confused over the whole process I thought I’d do a quick write up of my remap “journey” over the past few months.
Choosing the remap company is arguably the toughest part of the whole process. My car is an A3 TDI 130(PD) and whilst I loved the car in standard form, after a couple of years I felt that it was just lacking that little something extra.
There are loads of different companies offering new maps for the 130pd engine and I looked at all of the major companies before making my decision, I also tried to find members reviews of the companies but found that the majority of reviews were for the petrol engine (normally the 1.8 turbo used in the A3, A4 S3 etc) and not the 130 diesel.
Most companies tended to focus on the increased BHP on offer from the remap with some offering up to 195bhp!! - But I wanted a mixture of improvements from the remap not all out speed, my main requirements were:
Smoother power delivery instead of the standard turbo “wallop” I was used to.
Better MPG whilst driving at normal speeds (motorway cruising etc)
Improved torque in higher gears / revs for overtaking.
So after many months of decisions over which company should remap my car I went in on a mini group buy at Superchips kindly organised by the Slug (thanks again Rich). The main advantage of this offer was that the map would be tailored to suit me, not a generic (standard) map; this would allow me to get the results I wanted.
The other benefit of the mini group buy is that we saved about Ł100 over the standard price of Ł511 + RR costs as we paid Ł465 for the tailored map and before and after rolling road runs. The remap was to take place at Superchips Buckinghamshire HQ.
Firstly, the car, mine is a standard TDI PD130 A3 with the only mods so far being the 17” S3 alloys I fitted to it & a stubby aerial so pretty much bog standard.
The REMAP process:
When I arrived (well after a cup of tea) the car was put on the rollers to find out what power is was putting out as standard, a fan / blower is positioned in front of the car to simulate the air entering the car normally and extractor fans are placed at the back to help remove any exhaust gasses so you don’t kill the technicians.
After the initial run it turns out my 130 was actually producing 137bhp and this is often the case with the 130’s according to the technicians.
The technicians then connected their laptop via the OBD (on board diagnostic) port to install the new map and put it back onto the rollers, initially they uploaded a generic map producing just over 175 BHP. The car was then tested once more on the rolling road.
The improvement in acceleration was mind blowing – the rolling road is connected to a computer which shows the torque delivery and a few other bits and pieces, the only problem with this was at just over 4000 revs when a huge amount of black smoke was produced from the exhaust (a combination of the generic map not being 100% suitable for the way my engine was running and the fact that I have been known to drive like miss daisy at times resulting in a large build up of soot etc left in the exhaust).
After clearing the room for a few moments (literally) we decided to try the car on the roads as it was possible it just needed a good run to clear any remaining soot from the exhaust.
The technician came with me with his laptop connected to the car to monitor how the engine was coping with the new settings, unfortunately the smoke was still an issue especially under hard acceleration (I’ll apologise now to the ford transit driver who we left in a big cloud of smoke on the dual carriageway ) I also found that with the engine producing175bhp it was causing the esp to kick in a bit when putting the power down in first and second gear, finally the power delivery wasn’t as smooth as I’d hoped and there still seemed to be quite a bit of turbo lag so the technician suggested that to solve the issues they would alter the engine settings & reduce the bhp to a more manageable level
When we got back to Superchips they then tailored the map with the readings taken by the technicians laptop on the run, this allowed them to alter the boost settings and a few other bits and pieces to smooth out the power delivery.
The final rolling road test was very good, the car produced minimal smoke under hard acceleration and the power delivery was a lot more continuous, I was then given the keys and told to go out for a spin and check I was happy with it all.
The end result is amazing, the engine is now producing 162bhp and the power is almost continuous in every gear, also there seems to be very little turbo lag as well, the car now pulls much harder right up to the limit. On the way home I was driving at a sensible pace on the motorways and it seems that the engine is also more economical that it previously was although it’ll take a few tanks of diesel to prove this as I don’t have DIS.
All in all, I’m really impressed with the remap – it’s totally transformed the car, it feels a lot more responsive and the power delivery is much smoother than the standard Audi map, also, the service we received at Superchips was excellent everyone we met was extremely helpful and professional, I’d highly recommend them to any other forum member here.
A few pics of the day:
The Rolling road bay
My TDI on the rolling road
Rich’s TDI Quattro on the rollers:
Rich’s other half’s TDI on the rollers:
Rolling Road Printouts below