UDM vs Porter Cable?

willnabby

RS-one day soon!!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used or owns a dual action polisher with the brand name UDM, which stands for ultimate detailing machine? I keep seeing them on E bay, the ad says its better than the porter cable because it has more torque apperently, just wonderd if they were any good as I may buy a
dual action polisher soon,
any feedback appreciated:icon_thumright:

willnabby said:
Has anyone ever used or owns a dual action polisher with the brand name UDM, which stands for ultimate detailing machine? I keep seeing them on E bay, the ad says its better than the porter cable because it has more torque apperently, just wonderd if they were any good as I may buy a
dual action polisher soon,
any feedback appreciated:icon_thumright:

There's a chap on another forum I post on who has bought one. He used it a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the results.

http://www.clubscuderia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21224&highlight=ultimate+detailing+machine

I have a porter cable myself. Again, the results are very impressive.

Between these two, I think the compounds used and technique will be far more important than which of the two machines you pick. I haven't found my porter cable to be lacking in torque.

IMO your far beter off with the new megs G220 Polished bliss do them for 130.00 ish IIRR, its a beter built machine and also it is 220V so you dont have to get the 110 invertor and extention etc etc

Iv'e just had a look at the megs polisher, looks good, must be popular though, they've sold out.

Call Rich @ polished Bliss he will be able to get you one quite quick i would recon, as megs have them in stock IIRR

The Megs G220 is indeed a better bet than either the Porter Cable 7424 or the UDM for several reasons. Firstly both the UDM and the G220 are much more powerful than the PC, and allow the correction of even very hard paints (show a PC to VAG paint and you soon realise that more power is needed). That rules the PC out, leaving the UDM and the G220. The performance is very similar, but the UDM vibrates more, meaning long sessions with it can leave you with quite numb hands. The G220 also vibrates, but not as much. In addition, the G220 is also plug and play with no need for a transformer, and is thus cheaper overall, plus you get a UK warranty. No surprise then that the G220 has become very popular very quickly, to the extent that there is now a severe shortage of them in the UK. Meguiars should have the next batch in around 1-4 weeks time (depends whether they air freight or sea freight the container), so keep your eyes peeled. :icon_thumright:

^^ oh sorry mate i thought there where still plenty over here my bad, but defo worth the wait IMO they are also so much better put together and even the plasic they are made from is far far better than a PC or UDM