A few product questions on cleaning

lil_coz

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls.

Gave my car a wash today and I started noticing things that I want to get rid of.

1: Bug splats! Theres a coupe of splats on my headlights and front bumper and I have no idea what to use to get rid of them without resulting to a brillo pad! Guessing this will only get worse as the "summer" kicks in!

2: I've got a TDI so the bottom of my exhaust tips are black and was wondering what I can use to get rid of the blackness. I've got the 170 so its the chrome tips that I'm trying to bring back to their normal colour.

3: I've got black/brown speccles stuck on my wheels. Guessing its from the brake pads and they just dont want to get off! I've tried using my nail to get them off, but it just smears into a brown goo and its even worse! I've heard some horror stories about chemicals that cleans alloys and how over time they errode them. What would you recommend to use?

I think thats it for the time being. If I've got any more questions, I know where to come! :)

Thanks in advance for any help peeps :icon_thumright:

Coss.

Hi Coss, so you notice things you want to get rid of eh? Wise move, particularly on the wheel front. I've just been detailing someone's car today (part 2 tomorrow) and I think the wheels have 'copped' it. Too much grime, road salt and other winter environmental chemicals have got the better of the replica rims I'm afraid.

BUG SPLATS
Tar and glue remover. Polished Bliss sell Poorboys bug splat stuff. Autosmart Tar and Glue remover is another option (5L, and maybe too big a quantity for you at the mo???). Get some good microfibre cloths too. You could use this on your wheels too. You will need to re-apply protection to the areas you treat, as this type of product usually removes waxes and sealants.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-products-clean.html

WHEEL SPECKS
If the specks are brake dust fallout you could try claying the wheels to see if that pulls the specks out. The link above also has clay options for you.

EXHAUST TIPS (inside and out)
A good firm foam sponge (or three):

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/lake-country-german-applicator-pad-polish.html

Meguiar's NXT Metal Polish is a good place to start:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-nxt-generation-all-metal-polysh-engine.html

If that doesn't do the job, then a more abrasive one might be needed:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-heavy-cut-metal-compound-engine.html

Follow the Blackfire heavy one up with the finer Megs one afterwards.

There are lots of other chemicals out there but these are the ones that I have in my kit and they have done the job well. And there's tonnes of product still left. Although the wheel speck issue has had me stumped on a couple of occasions.

Good luck and I hope this has been helpful.

Oh, and have a read through the polished bliss guides, you'll find them as 'stickies' at the top of the section.

JOHN:icon_thumright:

Thanks John!

Some good info there. I think I'll be getting the Autosmart Tardis. Is there anything that I need to be careful of when using it?

I'll put the microfibre cloth on my shopping list too... You say that I need to re-apply protection when using it. I use shampoo with wax in it. So my process would be, wash, use cloth, and wash again?

What clay would you recommend for me to use? I'll only be using it for the wheels. I've never used anything like it so have no idea! Complete novice to this but I want to take care of my car as I'm sure you can appreciate!

As for the exhaust tips, I'll be getting myself a couple of spounges and the Meguiars NXT stuff. Only had the car 4 months so doubt I'll need the Blackfire Heavy Cut.

Thanks again,

Coss.

Sounds to me from your description that you have tar stuck on the wheels, not brake dust? Baked on brake dust tends not to leave a gooey smear when you pick it off, but tar certainly does. If it is tar then Tardis would be ideal. Other than that, John has covered everything comprehensively! :yes:

ive got the same problem on my wheels,and it smears wen you try to pick it off with your nail,really annoying