Chris NottEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Best products for black leather?

Hi,

Just bought a S3 and although the interior is in good condition i want to give it a really thorough clean and detail in the coming weeks.

The car has the black full leather interior - can anyone recommend a good product to use on these please - i don't want a shiny finish if at all possible.

thanks in advance

Mike
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I use the megs leather stuff. Not bad, and its suprising how dirty the cleaning towels can get.

the finish you get is really going to depend on the state of the leather.

2nd Gear

Status
    Haven't used the Megs stuff so far. There's lots of cleaners and feeders about though.

If the leather is in good nick as you say, then you should just use a damp MF cloth to give it a clean, or spray some water on it and agitate gently using a soft-bristled brush, say like this one:
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi.../prod_334.html
    particularly where there is stitching.

Then give a dry off. I don't think there's any need to use any chemical cleaners unless you're trying to remove stains that won't budge with water, or if you're trying to remove old products which you may well want to do. In that case use a very dilute APC or dedicated cleanser.

To feed the leather I presently use Zymol Leather conditioner because of its contents of natural products - I think that's the secret with leather treatments - natural stuff. Try warming the leather first with hairdrier on low setting then apply conditioner. Leave to soak into the leather then finish with gentle MF wipe. If the leather's already warmed by the sun then no need for the hairdrier.

There's a cracking well-subscribed thread on DetailingWorld that is very informative indeed. Since you've got lether throughout your car it may be worth a wee read.

Hope this helps.

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry, forgot to include the link to the aforementioned DW Leather Thread!

Here it is:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=27171

Thanks.

Polished Bliss

Status
    As above, a damp wipe down and then a feed with Zymol Treat is our standard routine, it's worth avoiding chemical cleaners unless absolutely necessary, as they tend to strip oils from the leather, thus drying it out.

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    I have used Zymol Treat and Gliptone Leather Feed and in my experience Gliptone wins hands down. The leather feels noticeable softer with Gliptone and it doesn't leave a shiny finish like the Zymol does.
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

3rd Gear

Status
    Gliptone stuff is the easiest and achieves very good results for me, I have some of the zymol treat too, like the smell but the gliptone beats it for me

Reverse Gear

Status
    so the consensus is to use a damp cloth to clean, then dry it, then apply a good leather product?

1st Gear

Status
    Tried a few different ones, Zymol, Swissol etc. gliptone is the best in my opinion.

Polished Bliss

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gibo
    so the consensus is to use a damp cloth to clean, then dry it, then apply a good leather product?
    If really needed (i.e. your seats are visibly dirty), then a mild all purpose cleaner wipe down followed by a proper feed is generally all that is needed. If your seats get dirty quickly and you need to do the clean step frequently, then a dedicated leather cleaner will likely be more gentle than an all pupose cleaner, and thus a better safer bet. As said above, there are heaps of leather cleaners and feeds on the market, but our favourite products at the moment are those in the Zymol range, particularly Treat.
    Last edited by WX51TXR; 14th January 2008 at 10:13.

Obsessive Car Detailer

Status
    I love the Gliptone twins myself... cleanse, dry then condition brings any leather interior up like new
    Wanted: 2000/2001 Audi A3 1.8T Sport...
    Will PX against this: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/330954.htm

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD
    I love the Gliptone twins myself... cleanse, dry then condition brings any leather interior up like new
    I agree. Gliptone Liquid Leather cleaner and conditioner are the best I've ever used. No shininess at all!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals