Porter Cable

clcollins

Reaction score
So what's the deal with the Porter Cable, it get high praise on these pages, what makes it so good? It looks the part and the pic's of cars where it's been used certainly prove it's a good performer, just wondering........

I'm wondering this too. How does it compare to the Meguiars random orbital polisher (£99 i think) which i presume doesn't need the transformer etc?

The Megs one has about as much power as a hamster, so is pretty useless at removing any kind of defects, although it will help you to achieve a good shine.

The PC is stronger and more powerful so gets better results. It is pretty much idiot proof as its a random orbital polisher - i.e it doesnt have a fixed rotational shaft so you cant install more swirls or buffer trails like you can with a rotary.

However the Rotary is the tool to have if you take your detailing serious and want to achieve the best results possible, but it takes a while to "master" it.

The PC is great for enthusiasts or beginners as you can get to grips with it pretty much straight away and get decent results :)

clcollins said:
So what's the deal with the Porter Cable, it get high praise on these pages, what makes it so good? It looks the part and the pic's of cars where it's been used certainly prove it's a good performer, just wondering........

You've just answered your own question mate!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my PC from a chap on eBay. He sells all sorts of detailing stuff. Worked out at £145 inc postage, 3 sonus foam pads, 2 polishing bonnets and an Autopia CD ROM guide. He obviously gets them from Autopia.

"....answered your own question......."

Yeah, thought that as I wrote it, only thing is that I can't believe that there's nothing available in the UK that matches it!

The UK 230V approved version that apparently comes with lots of improvements. Yes, with a UK plug. If you're waiting for it you'll have to be quick when it arrives. Don't know if any waiting lists have been started with any suppliers.

jr001 said:
The UK 230V approved version that apparently comes with lots of improvements. Yes, with a UK plug. If you're waiting for it you'll have to be quick when it arrives. Don't know if any waiting lists have been started with any suppliers.

More details pleeeease!!