Handsfree - another victory for nanny

MushroomMan

Sucemabite
Reaction score
Okay, some topical questions.

How many of us have handsfree kits in our cars? If so, is this a factory fitted device or our own configuration?

What is the best handsfree configuration in an Audi A3/S3?

Is this another victory for Nanny or a necessary change in the law? Should handsfree kits also be banned along with speaking to other passengers!?

Is this the same lobby that claims, falsely, that 33 per cent of road accidents are caused by speed when the real number is seven per cent?

BTW I have a factory fitted handsfree phone and never use a hand held mobile whilst driving. I don't advocate driving whilst talking on the mobile and get very annoyed when twits are doing so and not concentrating.

I agree that we should use handsfree kits instead of holding a phone in your hand.

I have a Nokia car kit installed in my car, and on those rare occasions (in the past) when I have had a hire car and so had to use a mobile with a headset, I've found it to be a nightmare. Without bluetooth you have a wire to get tangled up in things, and where do you put the phone where it doesn't slide over the cabin, on the floor etc. when you go round aroundabout.

But where do you stop - apparantly women are better at multitasking than blokes, and a lot less likely to have a crash while talking on handsfree, in comparison to men - but you can't write one law for some, and one for others.... and there are always exceptions to the rule!

Jo I seem to remember that you have an arm rest in your car so assume your handsfree is located in it? I don't have an armrest so my phone is tucked away close to the handbrake - not a great location actually but you seem to be short of options to place a handsfree if you don't have an armrest.

Apparently, if your phone is installed in a handsfree cradle, it is not illegal (under the new law with the proviso that your driving is safe) to text with it!!! Bizarre, another case of protocol over common sense. I don't know about others, but I cannot text when I drive, but I can talk on the phone without going all over the place.

Incidentally, a woman from Dundee was the first to be charged under the new laws, a little harsh at 2am in the morning on the 1st?? Not when you consider she got done for drink driving at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

No the handsfree is attached to the dash - in the passenger kneespace on the left of the stereo. - I'll take a photo when I have a digi camera handy!

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
No the handsfree is attached to the dash - in the passenger kneespace on the left of the stereo. - I'll take a photo when I have a digi camera handy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay - but not while you're driving! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

In the 2nd one you can just see the speak on the far left up under the passenger compartment thingy

It's a bit quiet on motorways etc., I would recommend paying to get it to use the car speakers etc.

Jo I had that set up in my previous company car - but opted for f/f handsfree with the S3. The problem with the post factory cradle is they sometimes drill into the dash.

Good to see you don't hoover the carpet obsessively too!!!

Here's a fantastic manufactuer of consoles to put handsfree kits on. The consoles typically mount next to the centre console and are trimmed in the same colours as the car interior.

oh, just look at the link.. easier than explaining it!!

www.plummer.co.uk

oh , maybe it's something for a group buy? I know the guy pretty well - can probably negotiate something quite good.. let me know if anyone's interested.

Models to suit all Audis, both RHD and LHD.

anybody got a picture of an handfree kit that uses the armrest?

Hehe, used to keep the car immaculate, but now it's been scratched and scuffed so many times by idiots that I don't bother - shows up the scratches too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Example of Audi Phone preparation on the A4 (B6 chassis). Two modes: Handsfree or handset detaches to use privately like an ordinary phone, whilst still muting the radio etc.

I'm getting the Sony Ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth car kit installed on Friday.

GPD_9733high_28_0_4000.jpg

More info here