2.8 Cab 1999 Steering Pp

easy12

Q
Reaction score
Hi,
can anybody help with ID of a Power Steering Pp for the above. Having the job done privately rather than fork out close on £1000. I have been told that for my Chassis No. there are two types of Pump, a Two Port and a Three Port. Does anybody know if the "Ports" referred to are the inlet/outlet connections or something more complex within the body of the Pump. Any assistance with this query would be greatly appreciated.:)
easy12

Hi
Pump for your car should be 8GO 145 165 X where X = a service exchange part. this is a tandem pump for cars with hydraulic brake assist, and is also used on 80 and coupe v6's and later 2.3 20v cars.
I have to ask why you are changing the pump? If leaking, there is a seal set available, 035 198 049 A and here's a link with more info about the hydraulic servo/booster and 'bomb' which may be of use?

http://www.20v.org/brakprob.htm

Hi Scotty33,
what excellent info, thanks. The pump was picked up as leaking and in need of replacement on a past Audi service, mmmmmm !!!!! Thanks again you have probably saved me a bundle.:thumbsup:
Easy12

The pumps often spring a leak from one of the two large 'crossheaded' screws on the pump body. The seals under there are fairly straightforward to change, just having the right tool to loosen the screw is the hard part!
Leakage can be because somebody used dextron power steering fluid in the reservoir, this system uses hydraulic mineral oil, whatever you use to top up with needs to meet the Audi spec on the cap.

Many thanks again scotty33,
the power steering fluid has only been topped up by Audi on services if required and myself who used the correct stuff from Audi. I have done 100k miles in it and so the chances are that there has been no contamination with the wrong fluid.
Thanks again
easy12:happy:

Hi,
Happy to help, glad you don't have 'wrong fluid' problems. I know Audi need to be able to warranty their repairs, but it would be nice if they bothered to mention that you have other options besides spending £1000 on a new pump, when a few seals might do the job! No wonder most refer to them as 'Stealers'...