how can i tell if i have a bose setup ?

stevess3

Reaction score
I seem to have a pre face lift s3 2000 w

But i can't work out what system i had

I thought it was the bose but im now not sure, how can i tell ?

Bose on the grills, 2 tiny speakers in a black plastic enclosure (subs) in boot.

i have a sub in the back pass side but it has only one speaker in it and there are no bose logos anywhere

You don't have Bose then, the Bose sub has 2 x 4" drivers and a Bose logo embossed on the front.

damn it !

another thing i have to change . i guess i won't have all th can bus stuff either ?

Is this an easy thing to convert ie will the current wiring support the bose setup

idealy what i want to install is the bose speaker kit and the concert 2 stereo head unit with the 6 disc changer

is this possible without a major head ache

i am an electrician so can cope with a bit of messing about !

The car needs to be completely rewired, all the speakers need to be replaced, the sub needs to be replaced, all new speaker wiring, new power wiring for both Bose rear amp and the sub, and the Bose pin on the back of the Concert needs to be earthed change the HU to the flat Bose EQ. The result is pretty lame as well, it's the worst Bose in car system I've ever heard.

For £350 you can have one of my stealth sub upgrades supplied and fitted which takes the stock system far beyond even the Bose upgrade. In fact I've probably sold more stealth subs for A3/S3's with the Bose upgrade already.

so the sub you offer will work along with the stock setup and with which head unit ?

Im a little pi**ed off that i don't have the bose as i was told thats what i had ! and subsequently sold my good alpine head unit and components and vibe powered sub

will your sub unit require an amp / wiring kit etc ?

Yes it works off any Audi HU, a small wiring adapter takes the pre-outs and remote on from the stock sub connector to feed an Alpine V12 amp installed behind the rear speaker panel. The only additional wiring is a fused 40 amp power cable straight to the battery.
The 18mm MDF enclosure replaces the tupperware sub and houses a JL Audio 6.5" sub, with room still for a CD changer on top if required. The enclosure and sub weigh 8Kg's compared to the tupperware version (which also includes the amp inside it) of about 1Kg.
SubCollageMidcopy.jpg

That look's a tidy unit. !

Another question is :

I have the pre face lift s3 it would seem, can i remove the centre console and fit a face lift console that has the double din unit and different heater controls

What i mean to say is with some work can i get every thing working as it should and get the new look console
i have a digital clock on my speedo clocks and an elecronic trip computer etc
also my heater controls are electronic

i have found a complete set up on ebay which has the cage and controls etc

That look's a tidy unit. !

Another question is :

I have the pre face lift s3 it would seem, can i remove the centre console and fit a face lift console that has the double din unit and different heater controls

What i mean to say is with some work can i get every thing working as it should and get the new look console
i have a digital clock on my speedo clocks and an elecronic trip computer etc
also my heater controls are electronic

i have found a complete set up on ebay which has the cage and controls etc so would it be possible ?

Not worth the hassle to me. Most decent stuff is DIN and you can't fit double DIN Audi units because of the lack of CAN. Aftermarket? well I suppose there are a few but not many, a car PC I would understand.

I wanted to keep with the standard look but its just not worth the hassle

i think a good alpine head unit. rewire all the speakers and up rate them
fit a couple of amps behind the rear quater card and uprate the boot sub

its really not worth any more hassle than that, im not at all intrested in the ps options . i may fit a chnager to the boot

One more question !

Can anyone tell me were to get the lead that makes the rears and the stock sub etc work from an after market head unit . also would the concert 2 just go in place of the standard tape player for the time being ?

Any sound will be better than no sound

Also when ive sorted the remap and the suspension etc ill be ordering one of those sub units

Doubt the Concert2 will even work properly in a pre-facelift S3, it'll plug straight in but as you have no CANBUS to tell it when the ignition is on, it will only work for 60 minutes then turn off. All the 2nd generation Audi HU's do this as they don't have a connection for ignition on.
The adapter you need for an aftermarket HU with RCA's is here:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=PC9404

Without RCA's then use this one:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=PC9401

Its a shame really, i would love to have been able to keep a stndard head unit then upgrade the rest

Im trying to get another alpine 9831r head unit off ebay now then as its a cracking little unit that will do anything ! lots of perameter settings and time correction settings . i will then build on that.
thanks for your help buddy and ill order one of those leads

Yes far too many settings and no bass or treble controls. Alpine have really lost the plot on their HU's IMO. Possibly more complicated to setup and control than an IBM mainframe.
Personally I'd go with a Becker or Blaupunkt, you can get a DAB Blaupunkt for around £300. Beckers are a bit pricey but look totally stock.

sorry mate alpine are my thing for quality . i had my last one for 2 years and it didn't go out of date and never let me down.

There are several settings for bass and treble if you look hard enough

"There are several settings for bass and treble if you look hard enough"
Shouldn't really have to though, should you?
Ease of use is a fundamental quality of any piece of equipment.
If I'm listening to a track and just want a tad more bass I really don't want to go into a menu then a sub-menu and chose each frequency I want to boost, I'd end up crashing the car.

Well each to their own i guess ! I tend to set it all up once an leave it alone !

I have the stock system running now from a after marlet h/u , and to be honest im not very impressed, it definitaly requires inprovement

What exactly is suppled with your sub ?

Ill need to fit it as im so far away in Cornwall !

Everything or just the bits you need:
A3/S3 with Aftermarket HU non-Bose system
18mm MDF custom sub enclosure (satin black with gold speaker terminals, brackets, wiring & wadding) - £95
JL Audio 6.5" sub (JL-6W0-4) fitted & tested- £85
Alpine V12 MRV-F405 4ch amp 200wrms amp - £90
40amp fused power cable, earth lead & 2 sets of RCA's - £25
P&P via Parcelforce48 insured & guaranteed 2 day delivery - £18
TOTAL £313
Optional Installation - £60 (Southampton)
The subs are brand new from CarAudioDirect, the amps are secondhand, sourced off ebay and fully tested.
If you want to rewire the rears directly to the HU then you'll only need a 2channel amp just for the sub. So the amp will be a V12 MRV-T505 which is 300wrms bridged and £10 cheaper.
PM me your mail address and I'll send over the PDF instructions.
Cheers, Andy