Bose pre-out to sub, using existing amp??

hooley

Reaction score
Yes I did a search, and didn't find the answer to this question....

Got an A3 8L with bose, and following andymacs comments about the sub being the worst bit and the speakers not too bad as long as you don't expect too much.....

I have an Infinity Basslink lying around doing nothing (from the scooby) - also got component 16cm's and 2-way 16cm's infinity kappas, but they are not planning on being used, just the sub........

I also have a powered crossover that can split a Pre-out signal and also boost level (if I need to).

So here's my thinking:

Can I tap into the inputs from either the existing sub, or into the bose amp to take the existing pre-out signal and split it, before sending it back into the amp and on to the sub??

I will remove (not use but leave in place) the existing sub. Can I take the remote on and power from this?? if so where is it and is it capable of powering the basslink.

Not looking for SPL here, just a better sound for the cost of the wiring - already got the rest of the kit.

Calling Andymac......Calling Andymac.....???

Also about to add a Phatnoise/Phatbox, so will probably be selling on the CD Changer.:icon_thumright:

Cheers
Jas

I have fitted another sub/amp to my BOSE, and the way I did it was to use an RCA>Speaker (Hi Level) converter about 5 quid from halfrauds. This converts the already low frequency filtered over from the BOSE amp to RCA level for you to input into your new amp.

Remote on is there, just meter it out, as for the main supply, you should run a fused link directly from the battery in 8 gauge or bigger.

The basslink has ability to get speaker level input, but as the speakers are 2ohm, would this make a difference??

That's why I was going for the powered crossover route.

Jas

Just unplug the Bose sub and use the pre-outs that are already there along with the remote on. Here's the pin outs:
BosePinouts.jpg

I can provide a ready made adapter, but all I do is take an RCA lead, cut off one end, strip it and solder on some long thin spade connectors. These can then be inserted into the sub connector without the need to cut any wiring, so easy to go back to stock when you sell the car. PM me if you want me to send you some spare mini-spade terminals as they're quite hard to come by.
Also the pre-outs on the Bose sub are left front and right rear (or vice-versa) so you always get some sub regardless of fader position. The Audi pre-outs are pretty feeble so you may want to boost them, but this will give you a cleaner signal than using speaker outputs.

Cheers Andy.

When you say to boost the pre-outs, are we talking about the aility of the amp on the sub to do this, or are we looking at external amplification before going in to the sub.

Thanks
Jas

hooley said:
The basslink has ability to get speaker level input, but as the speakers are 2ohm, would this make a difference??

That's why I was going for the powered crossover route.

Jas

The resistance of the speaker driver makes no difference, you won't be running a speaker.

I'm going by my own car's setup (it isn't an A3 its an A4) so I couldn't unplug the amp because it powers all of the speakers.

You want to power a sub from the BOSE amp? I thought you wanted to run another amp off of the BOSE amp's signal.
The BOSE sub is most likely 2ohm anyway, but by increasing the size of the sub you won't hear much difference unless you increase the size of whats driving it. Like fitting a bigger fuel tank wont make your car go faster.

Infinity Basslink is a self contained amp/10" sub combo, takes speaker level or rca inputs and has variable level, phase, crossover andboost.
Pretty good for adding internal bass without sounding like a chav with too much bass outside the car.

so what do we think about upgrading the fronts to the JBL's?
Cheap? or a waste of money?

Jas