8L Symphony to Symphony 2 Upgrade problems

shollis

flat in fifth.....
Reaction score
I have just tried upgrading the head unit in my car from a Symphony to a Symphony 2 and have come across the following issues:
1. There is a small co-ax type plug in the loom (that I assume puts the radio channel/CD track on the display on the dash) that doesn't fit the Symphony 2 as the both the loom and the stereo appear to have 'male' centres.
2. The Radio doesn't display 'BOSE' when it is turned on. Do all Symphony 2's do this as it appeared in the display on my Symphony?(It has got BOSE fitted)
3. The display seems very dim compared to the old radio and climate control display.
4. When I turn the ignition off and remove the key the radio stays on, unlike the original Symphony which turned off.
5. The old Symphony had a blade connector type earth plug on the back which the new one doesn't. I have tried earthing this plug onto the Symphony 2 to see if the display becomes brighter but it doesn't.
6. On a purely cosmetic note, the colour and finish of the Symphony 2 is a dark grey soft touch matt type finish whereas the old Symphony, the climate unit and the ESP/Cup holder panel above the radio are a very dark black with almost a shiny finish (not the Piano black of the S3 but if anyone knows where I can get a set from please let me know!!).
It is a 2000 'X' face lift 1.8 T Sport that had the Symphony with BOSE fitted from new.
Has anyone else done this conversion and had similar problems? Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen

The Bose on the display is purely cosmetic, need VAGCOM to switch it on. The Bose EQ settings are actually applied by earthing the Bose pin on the back of the HU, which you'll already have done by plugging it in as the Bose pin is on the power connector.
The switching on/off with the keys will be a CANBUS problem, I'm guessing the newer HU is expecting the CANBUS to tell it to switch on/off, whereas your car has a wired ignition on/off to tell it.

Which is basically what I said....

Ok, you have come across all the common problems....

1. The coax is the diversity cable and you need an adaptor.
2. It may need coding for BOSE or check that the BOSE wire for the sym 2 is grounded to a brown wire.
3. It works off can bus for the lights dimming, so your sym 2 needs connecting to the cluster correctly for can HI & LO.
4. Again it's a can bus issue, ignition over can bus is ued for sym 2
5. Don't be silly, thats the alarm ground wire.
6. Well they changed to Soul Black at 2002/3 which is why it doesn't match.

Thanks for the help guys.

To be honest it all sounds like too much hassle, I thought it would be simple so I will probably just stick it on ebay and try and get my money back and buy a boot autochanger for it instead.

It isn't too difficult, if you want me to take a look, I have diversity adaptors in stock and for a small fee I can run the cluster cables. I'm in manchester.

Shollis

Not too much hassle as Craig says for someone who knows what he is doing like him!

I would suggest going to see him and getting it fitted, the colour issue with the nav can be sorted with a kiwi black shoe polish sponge. The colour is a identical match for the colour of your pre-facelift car and the black colour does not stick to the white writing on the buttons!!

s8craig

Im in Derbyshire so not too much of a journey to Manchester.

What sort of ball park figure would you charge to do all of the above?

Also, were all Symphony 2's the can bus type or were the early, (black not dark grey ones) the old type? Was just wondering if it would be worth selling mine and finding an early version, even if it was just for the facia colour.

cheers

Stephen

I don't think that they made a sym II with the piano black.

It would be around £60 as long as your cluster was CAN Bus compatible and I would include the adaptor.