Q about upgrade to RNS-E (8P)

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Guys,

I have A3 on order for March delivery and am currenlty sourcing the things I need to upgrade to RNS-E from the new style doule DIN concert HU.

Do I need any adapters for this?
My car will not have BOSE, if that makes any difference?

I have read about a 'diversity' adapter for the aerial and other plug adapters that may be required, As I have an 07 model I am led to believe these may not be required and its a simple case of removing the concert HU and inserting the RNS-E.

Can anyone confirm this or tell me the parts that I need to complete the installation?

Many thanks..........

Depending where you source your RNS-E from, the vendor may already provide you with an adapter. If not, http://www.kufatec.de will sell you one, or have a search on eBay (type in "rns-e" into the search box).

If you don't have Bose then you don't have to do anything. Also, the diversity adapter should be included with the kit.

Then all you need is four removal keys - again, eBay is cheapest - and you have everything you need.

Following the install however, you will eventually need to see someone with VAGCOM to code your car to tell it that it has sat nav. Not doing this won't stop the RNS-E from working though, as I've yet to have mine coded!

Click the "RNS-E Sat Nav" link in my signature below to see more details about what the adapter looks like and how it all goes together.

This is the adapter you'll need http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=120084881166&rd=1&rd=1

I've just fitted RNS-E today, and used the same cable from the same seller. It arrived in around 4 working days - not bad from Poland.

I also bought the RNS-E unit from a Lithuanian seller. I was very weary about doing this but I can certainly say its the best £400 I've spent. The unit arrived in around 4 working days too.

So its installed, and all works superbly - inc Bose and Bluetooth phone prep.

Big thanks to Ben for his excellent write up :thumbsup: use this as your reference point for the install.

Hardest part for me was getting the Symphony unit out. I actually had to go to the dealer today as I was having difficulty getting the unit out with the keys I bought from Ebay. The dealer had some stronger keys and after a few minutes we managed to get it out.

C_Audiboy said:
Big thanks to Ben for his excellent write up :thumbsup: use this as your reference point for the install.
Cheers mate - glad it went well! Post up some pics if you can. And don't forget to keep the RNS-E packaging from Lithuania, so you can re-post your Symphony II when you sell it on eBay! :)

C_Audiboy said:
Hardest part for me was getting the Symphony unit out. I actually had to go to the dealer today as I was having difficulty getting the unit out with the keys I bought from Ebay. The dealer had some stronger keys and after a few minutes we managed to get it out.
Interesting. I've read that other people had problems with the removal too, but that's really kind of the Audi dealer to help you out. I wonder how many would.

C_Audiboy said:
This is the adapter you'll need http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=120084881166&rd=1&rd=1

I've just fitted RNS-E today, and used the same cable from the same seller. It arrived in around 4 working days - not bad from Poland.

I also bought the RNS-E unit from a Lithuanian seller. I was very weary about doing this but I can certainly say its the best £400 I've spent. The unit arrived in around 4 working days too.

So its installed, and all works superbly - inc Bose and Bluetooth phone prep.

I wish my install had been so straightforward..!! I have an A4 which had a single din Concert 2 and I had to remove the centre console and attack both that and my climate control unit with a hacksaw to fit mine.

I got my RNS-E from an ebay seller registered in Ireland but it too came from Lithuania in less than a week.

I bought the same adapters from the email seller mantioned above but I had problems with mine. The RNS-E was constantly on mute and I couldn't switch it off. After searching Navplus.us I found that some adapters hve 2 mute wires and was it was advisable to disconnect 1. All seems spot on now though but its perhaps worth bearing this in mind. It seems lots of different adapters have this so I wouldn't let it put you off buying from the same seller though.

Issac Hunt said:
Guys,

I have A3 on order for March delivery and am currenlty sourcing the things I need to upgrade to RNS-E from the new style doule DIN concert HU.

Do I need any adapters for this?
My car will not have BOSE, if that makes any difference?

I have read about a 'diversity' adapter for the aerial and other plug adapters that may be required, As I have an 07 model I am led to believe these may not be required and its a simple case of removing the concert HU and inserting the RNS-E.

Can anyone confirm this or tell me the parts that I need to complete the installation?

Many thanks..........

Hi ...

I did this upgrade on my 2007 A3 about a month ago it was very easy..:)

Ok 1st all you need is the RNS-E Unit , Gps Antenna and a DVD Map..(cost me about £400 for the lot from ebay)

You dont need any adaptors or leads as your A3 will be the same as mine and comes with quadlock which the RNS-E requires....BOSE no problem i did not have it dosent not make a problem.

Took me about 20 mins from start to finish after i got the exsisting Unit out.....Most difficult part was removing my Concert III double din head unit this was very tough remove..:eyebrows:

If you require a dvd map or some software PM and ill sort you out mate....

My install was extremely easy.

I handed s8craig a wad of £20 notes and he installed it for rme

:)

cliveywolves said:
Hi ...

You dont need any adaptors or leads as your A3 will be the same as mine and comes with quadlock which the RNS-E requires....BOSE no problem i did not have it dosent not make a problem.

If you require a dvd map or some software PM and ill sort you out mate....

Cheers mate, that is just what I wanted to hear! A simple one-for-one swop that'll take twenty minutes!

Pm sent regarding DVD.

Sinny71 said:
It seems lots of different adapters have this so I wouldn't let it put you off buying from the same seller though.
Users on navplus have also reported that some adapters are not correctly wired, so if you do receive one and the RNS-E has some problems, it certainly worth checking the adapter first. Again, http://www.navplus.us has lots of schemas to help.

I want to do the same.

Having just invested in a new S3 I would like to add RNS-E.
Car has Bose and GSM Prep.

I have tried to do some research on various forum, but still could do with help.

1. Good place to buy RNS-E
2. I want to ensure I can get the S3 screen on start up, so how do I ensure the unit will do it? Are them some that cant?
3. If I want it to integrate with my GSM prep is there anything I need?
4. Is it a special adaptor to connect to the RNS-E as I have BOSE
5. Not sure if the GSM prep has sharktooth aerial (not seen car yet). If I do I guess I need to run a new cable. Is that hard? Or should I just go to an Auto shop.

Any help appreciated.

Jonathan

Chins said:
I want to do the same.

Having just invested in a new S3 I would like to add RNS-E.
Car has Bose and GSM Prep.

I have tried to do some research on various forum, but still could do with help.

1. Good place to buy RNS-E
2. I want to ensure I can get the S3 screen on start up, so how do I ensure the unit will do it? Are them some that cant?
3. If I want it to integrate with my GSM prep is there anything I need?
4. Is it a special adaptor to connect to the RNS-E as I have BOSE
5. Not sure if the GSM prep has sharktooth aerial (not seen car yet). If I do I guess I need to run a new cable. Is that hard? Or should I just go to an Auto shop.

Any help appreciated.

Jonathan

Well, I'm no expert in this field, but;

1. I got my RNS-E from Ebay, went to the blokes house to see the unit working in the car before it was removed. Lots for sale on the bay from eastern Europe but I just didnt feel comfortable with them as you can't see it working beforehand.
2. This can be done via VAG-COM.
3. As above.
4. I dont have BOSE but I dont think it causes any problems. You shouldnt need any other adapters as 07 models are simply plug-and-play, the cars existing connectors simply plug straight into the RNS-E
5. You could run an extra cable to the sharktooth, or you may need to change it if it's not GPS capable. Or do as I intend to do and fit the GPS aerial behind the speedo housing, saves lots of aggro with removal of trim etc.

I bought my RNS-E from a seller called nikin777 on e-bay he is from eastern europe but a very good seller with excellent feedback. JohnS3 also on this forum bought his from the same seller too for his new S3.

Also recommend topsatnav from eBay. He's based in West London, and I think three people here - myself included - have bought from him with no problems.

I too would like this bolted on to my s3 when it comes april. Anyone know if it will work with phatnoise?

pacnet said:
I too would like this bolted on to my s3 when it comes april. Anyone know if it will work with phatnoise?
Yes, it is possible to connect Phatnoise. Users on the http://www.navplus.us forum have done it with no problems, because the RNS-E has a CD changer connector.