Bose system cutting out

Mattinho

Reaction score
I have the Bose system fitted to my 06 A3 SE.
For the past few days the system would randomly pop and all sound would stop. Turning the head unit off and on again would fix this but then it would happen again. I started the car yesterday and the pop happened right away but the sound would not come back.

Today I got to the amp, unplugged it and plugged it back in and the sound come back..... Until I started the car.

Unplugging and plugging the amp in fixes the problem but only for a few seconds or until I start the engine.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or know what the problem may be?

from your description it sounds like one of the transistors inside the amplifier is or has allready gone out of spec

you are correct in saying its the popping noise thats causing it
you may be able to clear it by dissconnecting all the leads and cleaning the connections to and from the stero and amplifier including the speakers
i would also try and clean up the cars earthing points

Am I right in thinking I will need a new amp if it is the transistors?

i have never actually had a look at one of the bose amplifiers inside
allthough i have fixed many many car audio amplifiers before
if your good with a multimeter and understand how amplifiers work then theres a very good chance it can be fixed
if not it may simply be easier to buy a secondhand bose amplifier

I took the amp out today and had a look inside. If a transistor has blown would there be any damage inside? All looks fine??

Installed the new amp today. Turns out the passenger side door speaker has gone.

Would it cause any damage to the new amp if I run the radio with the speaker out?

wont cause any damage if the speaker is removed
but please check the speaker cable itself to ensure this hasnt been trapped or cut , if you dont you could end up blowing up the new amplifier also

there is not allways any signs of damage to an amplifier , ideally you need to know how to check transistors to see if they are working correctly

Hmm.. I wanted to test the speakers once more to see if any others were out and needed replacing and to my surprise the one that was not working, only issuing pops and crackles is now fully functional.... Any one have any idea what could be causing this?

Oh right I had a problem similar to this when I had my own head unit. I had to ground the RCA to the head unit chassis if you're able to do that with your HU?

test the speaker on its own to see if the speaker is faulty
then try testing the speaker cable as it could have been trapped or broken at some point and shorted the positive and negative and this could be why the speaker doesnt work and the amplifier shows signs of damage