Aftermarket speaker recommendations for audi a3 8p sportback

amit91987

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

I have realised my rear speakers are not as loud as the front ones. I do not have a Bose set up, so I am considering changing all speakers to aftermarket ones.

Does anyone know why the rear speakers are not loud as the front ones, by this I mean when I have passengers they cannot hear the music. I have checked all the settings via my headunit- all seems to be fine.

Also, any recommendations for aftermarket speakers?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to give a budget otherwise recommendations could be between £80 and £800

I've just installed some Focal Access A1's in the front, sound is amazing.

Ideally would want pioneers if they fit around that budget. However, would not mind other speakers that are of a good quality.

Are you using the stock HU or aftermarket? Really no point spending that sort of money on rear coaxials driven off the stock 2 x 20w rear amp

rather than upgrading speakers, adjusting the fader setting more toward rear bias and cranking up the volume would achieve a better effect than changing speakers - which would still leave forward bias anyway.

Andymac- i am using an aftermarket unit, the pioneer avh 8400BT.

Artimus- i have tried adjusting the fader settings, but it seems my rear speakers are very quiet. Is this common for non bose setup?

I don't think it's common on any system! output is usually pretty well balanced on all of them. are you sure you don't have an 'enhanced' output selected on the Head Unit ..i.e: Pop, Rock, Church, Wide, etc??? as this can affect the output levels in multi-channel systems.

I don't think i have selected any enchanced output. The only setting i have messed around with is the different equaliser settings, i.e. superbass, flat etc to see if this made a difference on the rear speakers, which it did not.

In that case I'd recommend checking the polarity of the rear speaker wiring is correct on both sides.

Thanks, I will try and fiddle with the fader settings and if that does not work, I will have to get someone to check the polarity.

No it's nothing to do with settings on the HU. It's because you have twice the power going to the front speakers from the 2 x 50w internal amp in the Pioneer, but the rears are still using the feeble 2 x 20w rear amp inside the subwoofer enclosure.
You need to rewire the rears directly to the HU which will solve the issue, then reconnect the audi rear/sub adapter to the subwoofer pre-outs on the Pioneer and jack the sub level right up. The sub will still struggle to balance with the cabin speakers but at least you will have balanced rears.

Yes the non Bose version has a 50w (peak) subwoofer powered by a 4 ch amp inside the tupperware enclosure with 2ch's powering the rears. The Bose version is 100w (peak) powered by the 6ch amp on the drivers side in the boot, with the other 4 channels powering the cabin speakers
There were a few models produced with no subwoofer or rear speakers (god only knows why as it's all of £50 worth)

Reactions: mister.c. and Artimus