Glove box light retro fit and puddle light information

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
It annoys me that having spent loads of money on an A4 S-line that there's not even a glove box light. Not a big deal in the great context of things but quite handy.

well I've had a go at retro fitting this and it wasn't as hard as I'd originally thought. before I go any further though, the following is what I have done and should not be taken as advice for others to follow. I am by no means a vehicle electrician so if you follow this then at your own risk :approve:

a4glovebox.jpg

The above image is for a left hand drive car, reverse it (in your mind) for a right hand drive.

First remove the panel lettered x above, this just pulls off with a hard pull. Fingers only needed! Then pull off the end dash board panel which will reveal the fuses and the fuse holder (Handbook will give further info)

There are seven bolts (lettered 'A' in the diagram) which are holding the glove box in position. Undo all of these. Bolt A1 is inside the glove box at the top behind the cd changer (if you have one) if you haven't you should be able to see it. Bolt A2 is below the fuse holder.

The glove box will then be supported by two or three small plastic hooks (marked 'C' in the diagram), carefully support the glove box and manouvre it so that it becomes detached. Lower it to the floor of the car but be careful to make sure there are no wires caught.

It will then look a bit like this:-

P1000529.jpg

You will need to buy the following parts:-

Glove box light - part number UBD0 947 415 - £6.30

2 Plastic connectors - part number U893 971 632 - £1.53 each

2 repair wires - part number U000 979 133 - £1.16 each (all above subject to VAT - I did manage a 5% discount aswell))

The repair wires have the correct contacts for pushing into the plastic connecotrs, push each end of the repair wire into the plastic connector. Plug one of the plastic connectors into the light. Feed the wire through (from the inside of the glove box - the space for the light will allready be cut out) and click the light into place. Assemble it to look like this:-

P1000530.jpg

Light in position:-
P1000531.jpg

Plug the other plastic connector into the glove box damper (Audi call it a break) shown by the letter 'Y' in the following photo. This is the actual switch which turns the light on and off when opening and closing the glove box (I thought I would need to buy this but it was already there) :biglaugh:

P1000528-1.jpg

Cut one of the wires in half. One half will go to ground, the other half to a positive connection. A little planning might be needed here to ensure you have enough cable. You will need to add additional cable to the positive connection so cut the wire to give you a long enough length for the ground connection.

I used the hole in the support bracket for a ground, used a small nut and bolt with a couple of washers. (obviously any other suitable grounding point could be used) The hole can be seen in this photo:-

P1000532.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the positive connection, mainly because I changed my mind a couple of times. I was going to take a 'spur' off the interior lights circuit but the wiring was on the drivers side. Another possibility was to take a live from the cigarette lighter. I chose in the end to use the free fuse (number 2) in the beige fuse holder at the end of the dash board.

I used a connector similar to one of these which can be bought from

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/mouldingterms.php

connector.jpg

Trouble is I can't remember which one - I think it was 3 - 2050 in the picture above, but hopefully you see my point - Please check if you do it this way.

Unclip the back of the fuse carrier and plug the connector into the free space

I fitted it with a 3 amp fuse.

Please feel free to add any modifications

Last edited:
Reactions: bilal
Great guide...this will help a lot of people who lose the wire behind the glovebox when fitting led bulbs!How come no glovebox light as standard?WTF?

How come no glovebox light as standard?WTF?

Yes I agree, I have an S-line exec, you'd think a glove box light would come as standard but you have to order the illumination pack.

Ah well, just finished fitting the footwell lights and the door lights now. All I need to complete the package are the vanity mirror lights. On comparison the cost of parts are not far off what the illumination pack would cost anyway:)

Could I ask a question to those of you who have the illumination pack as standard. The footwell lights are led, can you control the brightness through the mmi? (my model is a 2010 spec - if that makes a difference)

cheers

Neil

Reactions: Marius
Good job Neil.

Pity audi still use that shyte plastic glovebox brake part as this usually snaps of, the trouble I had repairing mine & getting it to move slowly aswell.

You got pic of the footwell bulb, is this a built in housing with led or seperate bulb/led as such?

The updated 8P clusters & network board (as per my car) give you interior light dimming via the DIS mate so I would say yours would be there almost 99% sure given yours is much newer.

Yes, the break is a bit flimsy. I originally priced it as part of the modification but when I went to the Audi parts dept they said it was one unit, with or without light. Saved me £16 :)

The glove box light is the normal W5W bulb. The footwell lights are listed as LED. (Part number for the led light is U4E0 947 415 (£8.40), the connector part number is U4B0 971 832 (£1.53 each) and you need a repair wire for each part number U000 979 009 (£1.16) (all subject to VAT)

I have taken one out (just for you Nigel) -
P1000544.jpg

It was a pain in the **** when I first connected it as I didn't think the polarity would matter. When I coded the car for footwell lights (with the code given to me by Ross Tech) they didin't work. It was only when I was fiddling around in the garage with the rear ones that I tested them on a battery and hey presto.

Had to swop the wiring on the others:blush:. All works fine now.

With regards to the dimming, there is no function in the DIS or MMI. The only reason I ask is that that there is a thread on MKivs forum where the function on the mk6 is not available either. Are led lights dimmable?

The only problem I have with the retro fit now is that I can't get the rear door warning lights to work. VDS is still pretty basic when it comes to the my2010 A4 and the coding just refers to support at Ross Tech. Will send them another message.

Last edited:
So did you code the door modules for the lights, cause I would try playing with the coding a little, speculating to accumulate is my idea, sometimes we find out these things just by chance & playing about even if its not logged with vagcom, I'm not sure whats cnagedfor the B8 coding wise, can you show me a screen dump of the door module coding, just intrigued as dont get chance to touch other cars so much.

Led's are dimmable, just alters the current feed to it, not the voltage afaik.

This is the 'screen dump'
door.jpg

Two other bytes have one option in each, one for rhd, the other for the type of car i.e. A4 limousine.

Anyone else have the coding for either the left or right rear doors who have door warning/puddle lights

Thanks

Both rears doors are coded the same i.e. modules 62 (left rear) and 72 (right rear) both show :

A4_rear_door_codes.jpg

p.s. Mine's an Avant if it makes any difference.

p.p.s. I'm trying to think what else could be different in the doors. Here's a list of what I can think of that "may" affect the coding.
B&O speakers
Illuminated door handles (recessed red light)
Footwell lights
Puddle lights

Can't think of anything else to be honest :uhm:

Last edited:
Cheer again mate, your a big help

my coding - 01 00 02 20 40 01 41 00 01
your coding - 01 0C 02 20 40 01 21 00 01

The only differences are the illuminated door handles and the door/puddle lights, so I only need to change one number.

I'll go and do it now - back in a bit :detective2:

Done it and it works :rock:

The fourth digit needed to be changed to C to enable door/puddle lights.

I therefore presume that the thirteenth digit relates to illuminated door handle. (I don't as yet have these)

Finished and WELL satisified

:beerchug: everyone

(I'll e-mail Ross Tech with this info as the coding on the new A4 seems a little sparse)

Neil

Speculate to accumulate huh Neil, nice one chap.

Couldn't have done it without you two guys. Thanks Nigel and scoTTy.

This sort of help is what makes this forum really great - loads of helpful, knowledgable and friendly people.

:beerchug:

Just had an e-mail from Andy Smith at Ross tech regarding this point. With what Sebastian said in his other post we should have a few more things to look forward to with the new VDS software updates.

It was all scotty tbh mate, I just pushed you out of your armchair to go play a bit, he did the homework mostly, but I'll accept the beer anyway, lmao.

Good work scotty.

You got me intrigued now. Tomorrow evening I'll pop out and see if that other value is the door handles. ;)

I only have a picture of them on the A3, I think they are the same on an A4
DSC00316.jpg

Yep just like that. I'll be having a play around 16:00...although not sure it'll be dark enough to really see as they're quite subtle ..... and I'm colour blind hahahaha

Ah.Sorry, thought you meant on the outside like the beemers.I like them!

Last edited:
Thats known as surround or enviroment lighting & they're on the underside of the mirrors on the A6 & possiblyA4 B8 range, not very common, but I had some to wire into my A3 as the mirrors shared the same trims, but now I'm upgrading mine to facelift I will get the newer A6 trims with leds to fit, just working out the wiring tbh as they come on with the coming home system which the A3 had but not with surround lighting

For the front doors VCDS already identifies the byte and bit.

For the rear doors the door handle illumination is toggled on and off with Byte 1 bit 5.

Any idea what "SLP Parameter Set : Audi A5 (8T) Coupe" means?

My front's were set to "SLP Parameter Set : Audi A4 (8K) Limousine/Avant & Audi Q5" so I did the rears the same just for the sake of it :happy:

Surround Lighting perhaps, I'm speculating here atm.

Any idea what "SLP Parameter Set : Audi A5 (8T) Coupe" means?

No idea! but mine was the same and I changed it to Audi A4 (8K) Limousine/Avant & Audi Q5 aswell. Can't say I've noticed any changes.

I'm going to have a look on etka later to see if you can just get the led for the illuminated door handles. Might have a go at this aswell

Interesting thread, just received my new A4 Exec S-line and cant believe the illumination pack is an extra. Has anyone sussed the vent illumination?

Does the B8 have vent illumination then as 8P doesnt even though there's a mod for that, that I'm working on.

I've not noticed it but I was told I had it on my B6 S4 and I could never set it on that either!

They come on with the rest of the headlights etc switch, illumination pack, it only lit the dials on the vents, well it did on the facelift 8L's I know for sure, I am awaiting for the snow to clear so I can grab a mates old vents to start my mod as I ****** hate the fact you cant see the damn vents at night or at least the adjusters, poxy audi change there mind more often than the queen changes her underwear lol.

The dials on mine are definately lit (including the rear temp controller). I was told previously that the B6 S4's had subtle lighting in the actual vent. I've always assummed they all do as this seems a very basic function .... but then again so is a glove box light normally!

Do the door handle lights come on all A4 B8's? Or do you need the lightting package?

So I've done the glovebox light. Have tr8ps led light plus housing it works as I tested in the boot light. .I am using a 5 amp fuse but it should be effect. There is no light output.....I'm losing my mind as to why this isn't working...any help would be brilliant

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389633389031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389633389031.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,972
Not sure if you got an answer or any help Andyam. Two things spring to mind:

1. is the live feed you are using ignition switched?
2. could the switch in the glovebox damper be faulty? Try disconnecting the connector (looks white or light brown in you pics) from the damper and short it - any light now?

It's been months since your post so you've probably solved it already.

Mark