Oil???

BigGreg

Reaction score
Just looked my car up on Halfords to check right Oil and it came up saying Audie VW 5w30 full synthetic. The book says as I have a DPF it needs to be VW507 00 oil.

So question is I have some Mobil 5w30 Fully Synthetic in the garage from my petrol ford last year, will this be ok to top up with?????

I got some mobil 1 ESP for mine, as thats what came up on the Mobil oils website. meets those specs I believe.

Reactions: BigGreg
Just looked my car up on Halfords to check right Oil and it came up saying Audie VW 5w30 full synthetic. The book says as I have a DPF it needs to be VW507 00 oil.

So question is I have some Mobil 5w30 Fully Synthetic in the garage from my petrol ford last year, will this be ok to top up with?????

Definitely stick with VW507 low ash oil. Anything else will lead to problems long term. If you were a few weeks off an oil service and were just topping up a little in an emergency you might chance something below spec but it would be a lot less than ideal. Even though your old oil is 5w30 fully synthetic I'm guessing it's going to be VW502 / 505 at best. I've got two litres of 5w30 502 / 505 that's going nowhere near my TDI - I'm giving it away gratis to the buyer of my other half's old Fabia.

Reactions: BigGreg
Definitely stick with VW507 low ash oil. Anything else will lead to problems long term. If you were a few weeks off an oil service and were just topping up a little in an emergency you might chance something below spec but it would be a lot less than ideal. Even though your old oil is 5w30 fully synthetic I'm guessing it's going to be VW502 / 505 at best. I've got two litres of 5w30 502 / 505 that's going nowhere near my TDI - I'm giving it away gratis to the buyer of my other half's old Fabia.

Thats a bit odd as the top up oil Audi gave me with my new car is Castrol longlife 5W30 ..... I was under the impression that this was low ash oil ??

I got some mobil 1 ESP for mine, as thats what came up on the Mobil oils website. meets those specs I believe.

I used Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 in my last TDI B8, did 90,000 miles without needing to top up between oil changes and no DPF issues.

Has to be the ESP version, though.

But I must admit all this talk of Castrol Edge 5W30 has me wondering if I should give it a try.

The numbers just mean the viscosity of the oil. Oils named with a pair of numbers split by a W are multi-grade with characteristics that meet warming and cooling conditions within a required spec range. It means you can expect the same level of lubrication summer and winter and in different parts of the engine with just one oil. Once upon a time you had to change oil viscosity with the seasons; heavy oil in the summer, light oil in the winter. Mercifully that hassle is all in the past. Anyhow, not all 5W30 oils are created equal. They will be made with a variety of different chemical compounds both synthetic, and in some cases mineral, and different polymers to give the two viscosity factors. Fill up your engine with the wrong type and you have effectively filled it full of the wrong type liquid with added plastic that when hot may well react badly with seals and gaskets, corrode and disolve some important gubbins, then turn into glue in your turbo, and otherwise totally ****** up your engine. That's before mentioning what it might get up to when it burns off in your exhaust system...

Last edited: