Telling Insurance Company about upgrades/mods

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I upgraded my 18" alloys for genuine Audi 19" Rotors. Will I need to tell my insurance company?
After all, this upgrade was available on my car when new so it's not as if it's a non-standard modification.

I realise that I might need to tell them about the RS4 style grille I'm about to fit. Or could I plead ignorance as it looks OEM?

Also, Would I need to tell them about the rear window tints (legal tint) that I had done?

Many Thanks in advance.

Yes - you have to declare factory options so why not when you retrofit them.

You must believe that it improves the look (or you wouldn't do it) and hence it will now be more attractive to thieves i.e. higher risk and hence it could affect your premium.

Many people don't ... but then many people get caught too.

I've never had to declare factory options before!
I agree that it does make it look more attractive, but would I really have to tell them about the wheels? As in reality I could have bought the car new with the 19's and they haven't asked me what size I have on the car at the moment.

I'm with Admiral at the moment and I'm quite sure they don't entertain any mods at all!

I was with admiral for my golf gti and I had 19" bentley wheels, milltek turbo back stage 2 revo and coilovers and I didn't declare any of it, I had a smash and it got wrote off, they sent there assessor round to look at the car and they paid me 1k more than I bought it for not sure if I was just lucky with that one or not, I haven't told my current insurer about any mods I have done to my A4 either but if I have a smash now it will be getting recovered back to my yard to be put back to standard until the assessor comes lol

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Never told them a thing! They want 1k more for any mod for me... So I've need said anything.

I pay something like £350 for my fiesta st and with ANY mod no matter if its a turbo or window tints its £1000 onto then something like £7 every mod after...

Up to you though.

I wouldn't bother.... standard equipment upgrades so how are they going to know it didn't leave the factory with tints, 19"rotors etc? They take enough money from everyone I wouldn't gift them more.

If you put a different engine in or increased power or fitted aftermarket stuff then yeah

You do yeah, sky insurance covered me for mods no problem on my integra and impreza!

Not that much, as both cars were performance it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was 25 on the integra with 3 points and it cost about £450 a year. Was with sky for years until I bought an in modded car and the put the premium up! Cheaper elsewhere when I have a standard car but for anything with mods, I'd turn back to sky for a quote any day.

I wouldn't bother.... standard equipment upgrades so how are they going to know it didn't leave the factory with tints, 19"rotors etc? They take enough money from everyone I wouldn't gift them more.

If you put a different engine in or increased power or fitted aftermarket stuff then yeah

With regards to whether they would know how a car left the factory the PR codes in your service book/boot floor list all the options fitted from the factory, so even mods with Audi parts are easily identifiable.

I needed a PR code recently and was interested to see that my car has a PR code for the "forged 19 wheels" from the factory so upgrading to 20s, even if OEM Audi, would be easy for the insurance to spot... if you get a switched on assessor... and if you weren't able to remove them (or other mods) prior to an assessor's visit

Personally, if its an easy mod to spot I'd declare it - don't give them an excuse.