right rear lights really dim compared to the left.

Longstride83

Reaction score
Hi

I had an alarm for the rear right light earlier but didnt see the message now i cant get it back up. The rear right side has gone really dim compared to the left hand side and im no longer getting an alarm.

Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix?

Led or halogen rears, if the latter swap the bulb & see if it goes brighter as other side.

Right then ive swapped the bulbs and they are fine the fault stays on the right side. They remain really dim.

Ok which light specifically is the issue as in brake, fog, indicator etc?

the part on the boot lid and just the normal light when the lights on.
Break was ok indicator and reverse all come on ok.

When the car is idle the right is dimmer, when i swapped the bulbs this morning there was water in both sides which was odd.

Well check all connectors for corrosion, if it has water in then check the pcb the bulbs plug into.

im gonna wait for the rain to stop so i can take the whole boot panel off. The bulbs still light up but are just really dim, you would think that it would short out if the water effected it. Ill let you know how i get on once its dry

The right side has gone completely now and the alarm shows up on the dash. Its not the bulbs. There is a beeping also from the boot.

Does anyone have any idea how i may fix this or will i have to take it to audi?

Beeping, do you have parking sensors?

yes i do, spoke to a guy at audi and they seem to think its the light and bulb holder as the seal has gone. They say they have seen this before.

My parking sensors now go off all the time when driving even when the engine isnt running.

Its got to be either water ingress into the drivers side rear quarter.

The parking module & central convenience is there & its all these systems controlled via these modules, so too coincidental for me.

I have had a feel around and everything is dry as a bone, inside the right of the boot by the fuses and the bulb holders themselves. Thanks for the advice hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Could already been damaged & dried up leaving corrosion on contacts, you need to take the modules out & have a look at them closely.

I had the same problem last summer. There was rust on the light connectors. I cleaned it all up and sprayed wd40 on it, and it's been fine ever since

I think I'd have tried stripping the units, cleaning them as suggested and as a last resort I'd have been searching eBay before shelling out the best part of £400 for new items!

Glad you got it sorted out though matey :icon_thumright:

The misses said i was thick in the head. I spent 2 weeks trying different things and in that time the light didn't come on and i couldn't keep driving at night with lights out. I had no choice about night driving due to work. Couldn't keep risking getting pulled.

Its done now so happy days.

Tsk... women what do they know? :blahblah1:

You wouldn't catch a man in the kitchen telling them how to cook and clean ;)

(advanced apologies to our female readers)

Last edited: