Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Codestud

Thread: Problem fitting RS4 pedals

Reverse Gear

Status

Problem fitting RS4 pedals

I bought some RS4 pedals from eBay to swap with the dull rubber standard ones on my A4 S-Line - and have been led to believe it's an easy swap.

Oh no it bloody is not.

I've tried following the instructions given and the rubber backing is nightmarishly difficult to wrap on to the pedal.

I've only barely managed to get one of the existing rubber pads off! Never mind get any of the new ones on (except for the dead pedal - which is easy because it just screws in).

If anyone else has done this mod, can someone tell me what the secret is? I've also tried heating the rubber with a hairdryer but it doesn't really make it any easier. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Failing this, if you genuinely think you can help - I'd actually be happy to pay anyone of good standing on this forum for the petrol + time for you to visit me to help me out on this one.

Please PM.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    I did this 2 weeks ago and it was a nightmare! My fingers were sore for hours after.

I really fought hard to get the old ones off. Try peeling one side then slot a screwdriver under one side and then try to peel it off that way.

When putting the new ones on, make sure you soak them in boiling water for a while to sofften the rubber up and it will be easier to slip them on.

Good luck!
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

cabriolet

Status
    BOILING water!!! me thinks not, hot yes but i wouldnt do the boiling bit, it may deform the rubber like speedys brain lol
    i struggled a bit but got there in the end, where abouts are you, if your close enough, i dont mind meeting up and popping them on for you mate.
    Last edited by 1wheelonly; 19th September 2009 at 16:50.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    BOILING water!!! me thinks not, hot yes but i wouldnt do the boiling bit
    That's what I stuck mine in! Rubber seems fine but if your worried then let it cool down for a short while.
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmspeedy View Post
    When putting the new ones on, make sure you soak them in boiling water for a while to sofften the rubber up and it will be easier to slip them on.
    Boiling Water!!!

Thats's the trick I was looking for! I've now got two of them on.

Thanks very much for that, mate!

Will post back when they are all on so you can see the results.

Must admit, cooking pedals on my hob is the weirdest thing I've done for a while, LOL. Had the nice by-product of cleaning them, too!
    Av4nt likes this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    lmfao, picturing the cooker with pedal covers in a pan, lol

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Ovens and car parts are very compatible

Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    lmfao, picturing the cooker with pedal covers in a pan, lol
    That's exactly what I was picturing. If only you had taken a pic.

Glad it helped.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Ovens and car parts are very compatible

I'd like to see the pics from the 1st 2 attempts at not melting them,lol,

6th Gear

Status
    BOILING it may deform the rubber like speedys brain lol
    Lol

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

Reverse Gear

Status
    That's exactly what I was picturing. If only you had taken a pic.
    Well this morning I put the clutch on! Here it is in the pan!

Interesting thing about the clutch is that, unlike the other two pedals (which are metal underneath) the backing is actually plastic - I was a bit worried about breaking it but it was OK in the end.

It was also the most difficult to do - had to go back and reheat it about 3 times until it finally went on.

Having now done it - can't say it's an experience I want to repeat.. a lot of gnashing of teeth and it drew blood on my hands as well!

End result looks good though - used to have pedals like this on my previous car so I wanted to have them again.

Thanks again all!
    Last edited by Codestud; 20th September 2009 at 20:22.

cabriolet

Status
    you might find them easier with a pinch of salt and stir whilst bringing to the boil.

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    you might find them easier with a pinch of salt and stir whilst bringing to the boil.
    And who said it wasn't good to boil them!

cabriolet

Status
    And who said it wasn't good to boil them!
    i doubt it got to boiling point mate, well i wouldnt anyway, theres no need, just need to supple them up a bit.
    if you get them to boiling, by the time the metal had cooled down enough to touch, the rubber would have been cooled to much.

any time you feel the need to question my advise on this matter speedy, ring me like you did when you were fitting yours, ENOUGH SAID !! lol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Codestud View Post
    Well this morning I put the clutch on! Here it is in the pan!

Interesting thing about the clutch is that, unlike the other two pedals (which are metal underneath) the backing is actually plastic - I was a bit worried about breaking it but it was OK in the end.

It was also the most difficult to do - had to go back and reheat it about 3 times until it finally went on.

Having now done it - can't say it's an experience I want to repeat.. a lot of gnashing of teeth and it drew blood on my hands as well!

End result looks good though - used to have pedals like this on my previous car so I wanted to have them again.

Thanks again all!
    Where did you get your pedals mate and how much did you pay?

2nd Gear

Status
    i had my centre caps in the oven when i refurbed my wheels a few months back and my girlfriend went to get in the bath and my front grill was in there soaking one day too she regularly find something that should really be on the car or at least in the garage. makes it fun for them

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    Where did you get your pedals mate and how much did you pay?
    From this shop on eBay (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Tuning...__W0QQ_armrsZ1).

They are based in Germany. The set weren't cheap, around 100 or so. Obviously it's up to the individual as to whether you think they are worth it or not - personally I prefer the OEM look.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    lmfao, good one

i doubt it got to boiling point mate, well i wouldnt anyway, theres no need, just need to supple them up a bit.
    if you get them to boiling, by the time the metal had cooled down enough to touch, the rubber would have been cooled to much.

any time you feel the need to question my advise on this matter speedy, ring me like you did when you were fitting yours, ENOUGH SAID !! lol
    Touche

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Codestud View Post
    From this shop on eBay (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Tuning...__W0QQ_armrsZ1).

They are based in Germany. The set weren't cheap, around 100 or so. Obviously it's up to the individual as to whether you think they are worth it or not - personally I prefer the OEM look.
    Yeah i have him on my favourite sellers list, has some good stuff including s4 mirrors but not sure what the quality is like as they are obviously just copies.

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    I had TT pedals on my A3 & they were much easier to fit than the RS4 ones on the A4... A bowl of hot water & some elbow grease does the trick though, as everyone's found out!

I didn't bother with the footrest though as it was nearly 100 more when I bought my RS4 pedals.
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

3rd Gear

Status
    Are these the right part numbers for the Pedals and Footrest? Well except the accelerator one, I don't have that part number.

Clutch Cover - 8E1 721 647
    Brake Cover - 8E2 721 989
    Accelerator pedal - 8E2 *** ***
    Dead pedal - 8E2 864 777 B 4P

4th Gear

Status
    I found a hair dryer worked well to get the old ones off. Needed to be careful heating the new metal ones up though, they can get a little hot.
    For Sale
    B6 S Line Saloon rear bumper,B6 A4 Upper Grille,B6 1.9TDI catback exhaust,B6/B7 Full Piano black inlays,B6/B7 RNS E/GPS Sharkfin,B6/B7 Side airbags,B7 2.0TDI Intercooler and MAP sensor