glow plug light flashing and limp mode

studunc06

Reaction score
I have recently bought my self an 07 plate A4 sline 170bhp quattro,2L TDI, high 80's for mileage. My problem is several times over the weekend car would go into limp mode with the glow plug light flashing at me it will go away when I turn the ignition off then on again. I am pretty sure it comes on when for example I am in fifth or sixth cruising 60-70 and when the road goes into a kind of long drag that makes you press the throttle down a bit more and put the engine under a bit more load. This happened on Friday twice and 3 or 4 times today between that over the weekend nothing, and I was doing a wee bit of running around and on occasion I would give it a fairly aggressive acceleration/thrashing with no hint of the a fore mentioned problem. Obviously my intention is to speak to the people that sold it to me but they for me are a few hours drive away so I am just looking for a bit of advice/knowledge for when I do speak to them to find the best solution.

I recently had exactly the same issue with my car, took it into my local independant audi garage and they diagnosed a split in the diaphram in the vacuum switch on the inlet manifold. So I would expect its a leak on a vacuum hose somewhere...

spoke to the garage that sold me the car and they are happy for me to source some one local to do some fault diagnosis and then get back to them with any faults and whatever its cost me to do so, going to try a local vw/audi garage and see what they come up with. will keep you posted with what they find, thanks for the replies so far.

I have recently bought my self an 07 plate A4 sline 170bhp quattro,2L TDI, high 80's for mileage. My problem is several times over the weekend car would go into limp mode with the glow plug light flashing at me it will go away when I turn the ignition off then on again. I am pretty sure it comes on when for example I am in fifth or sixth cruising 60-70 and when the road goes into a kind of long drag that makes you press the throttle down a bit more and put the engine under a bit more load. This happened on Friday twice and 3 or 4 times today between that over the weekend nothing, and I was doing a wee bit of running around and on occasion I would give it a fairly aggressive acceleration/thrashing with no hint of the a fore mentioned problem. Obviously my intention is to speak to the people that sold it to me but they for me are a few hours drive away so I am just looking for a bit of advice/knowledge for when I do speak to them to find the best solution.
Had exactly the same problem last week on the way to the airport. Got back Fri & she's in being diagnosed now.
will update as soon as I know.

Had it in at a garage in Inverness today and the fault code they found was related to the vacum unit and they can fix it for 140 including the work they did today to diagnose it and the garage that sold it to me are willing let this garage fix it and pick up the tab.The part itself only costs 10 quid but they need to remove the inlet manifold to get to it though.

I had the exact same problem a few weeks after buying my B7. I took it to the garage i bought it from and they used their local mechanic. diagnosed as a leaking vac hose. they paid and sorted it. its been fine ever since - touch wood!

got the vacum unit changed today and while they were there they noticed the throttle body was leaking oil,still working fine though, but managed to get it changed courtesy of the garage that sold me the car so the 140 bill turned into a 430 quid bill, not payed by me ;)

Ok.....so got her back last week after 2 weeks. Problem took a while to diagnose but traced to an internal fault within EGR valve which was replaced and re-adapted. Oil & fuel filter replaced, a couple of sensors and some additives added to the fuel tank to help clean her through.

A grand + VAT is not cheap but she's now running better than ever and with the nice weather this week have been able to enjoy the new RARB.

guessing most of that was labour then? Cos a new EGR valve isnt anywhere near a grand!!