3.0tdi DPF problems, has it been deleted ?

Jimbo.King

Reaction score
Hi, i've recently bought an 07 plate A4 3.0tdi and it the one with the DPF, I took it for a 120 mile run on Thursday on the motorway and when I came off the motorway I booted it in 1st and 2nd gear and it kicked a load of soot / crap out of the exhaust, I've had this before when I've been on a run and then give it what for after the run, is this normal as when using it normally round town it's very clean out of the exhaust.

So yesterday I thought I'd put VagCom on and see what the DPF is doing and how clean/clogged it is, but when I looked the figures were all at 0 and the temps before DPF and CAT seem very strange, so I took it for a run to see if they change and they don't, the DPF is still on the car and I'm now thinking its been deleted on the ecu, if someone could look at the figures below and let me know if it has been deleted, cheers Jim
Null zps2066517dNull zps9849be66Null zps0b148ef2

Has your car definately got a DPF? My 07 plate hasn't. I know you said it's still on the car, but did you take a look for it?

Yes it's definately got one, it's straight off the turbo with a sensor before it and also has the air pipes for the regen + its £260 a year road tax and the TDV version, worry is if it's been deleted it'll just clog up over time and needs removing.

I have a 57-plate 3.0TDi TDV on which the road tax is £260. I always assumed it had a DPF, but then I learned that if the car's data sheet includes the code 7GN, no DPF is fitted. Sure enough, my data sheet includes code 7GN. That would certainly explain the smoke when I floor it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo.King
I have a 57-plate 3.0TDi TDV on which the road tax is £260. I always assumed it had a DPF, but then I learned that if the car's data sheet includes the code 7GN, no DPF is fitted. Sure enough, my data sheet includes code 7GN. That would certainly explain the smoe when I floor it.

Ive just had a look at the service book data sheet and found it has 7GN too, so lifted the bonnet and took some pics of what I thought was the DPF and there's a part number printed on it (8E0254201E) and it comes back as a catalytic converter !! Very happy to know that now, cheers Jdp for the reply, just shows that with low road tax and TDV on its description you cannot assume it has a DPF.
Null zps1508d809

Ive just had a look at the service book data sheet and found it has 7GN too, so lifted the bonnet and took some pics of what I thought was the DPF and there's a part number printed on it (8E0254201E) and it comes back as a catalytic converter !! Very happy to know that now, cheers Jdp for the reply, just shows that with low road tax and TDV on its description you cannot assume it has a DPF.
View attachment 22746

Indeded. Oh, and it's a small point I know, but in your sig, you say the car has 233BHP. It hasn't. It's 233PS, which equates to 229BHP.

(P.S. I win pedantry awards at work)

Reactions: NHN
Indeded. Oh, and it's a small point I know, but in your sig, you say the car has 233BHP. It hasn't. It's 233PS, which equates to 229BHP.
I've had a very slight remap on it !! lol

Reactions: A4_MaJiK and jdp1962
I've done a search on the DVLA site for my car and Jimbo's car (hope you don't mind fella) and my car is showing CO2 emissions of 223 g/km, and yours shows 198 g/km. So your tax is £260 while mine is £280. Anyone got any ideas why? They are both registered in 2007.

Actually, I've just realised, I didn't pay £260 this year, I paid £270. My car is a Band K. Because my road tax renewed at the end of February, it was at 2012/13 rates. My next tax disc will be at current rates, so it'll be £280.

So that puts my car on a par with yours, Jas.

I went through all this already when going to fit my custom exhaust system. Also have code '7GN' on my options code sheet. Don't get much smoke however.

Reactions: Jimbo.King
Actually, I've just realised, I didn't pay £260 this year, I paid £270. My car is a Band K. Because my road tax renewed at the end of February, it was at 2012/13 rates. My next tax disc will be at current rates, so it'll be £280.

So that puts my car on a par with yours, Jas.

Ah, that's ok then. I wonder why the co2 emissions are different though?