Take a chance on a RNS-E ???

tuffy

Reaction score
I all.
Ive Seen the titled above going on eBay but with no code, would anyone take a chance on it? As it could prove trouble sum to get the code

I would be more worried its stolen. Think you can get the code from dealers for a small charge though.

Ok. Let's just assume its not stolen.... Is it difficult to obtain the code for a unit that hasn't got one???

Call dealer and give serial number from Radio I assume.
Unit has to be fitted into a car and you have to drive it to the dealer so that they can connect their VAS to it and download the PIN code from the central Audi database. Expect many dealers to say it's impossible, and many of those that can do it to charge 1/2 hour diagnostic fee.

I have seen a few listed by breakers yards so some are legit. But then there's the risk of being damaged. I'm also looking at getting one at the moment. There seems to be a large variety of prices and some certainly look dodgy

Reactions: tuffy
Been chatting to the seller, it came from a car they have for scrap (gotta give benefit of the doubt ) I can have it for £250. Admitily I have to buy the disc, antenna, and labour for coding.
That all taken in to consideration.... I guess it's not that cheep ?????

Is £250 about right money for a unit with no code, no disc etc etc???

Is £250 about right money for a unit with no code, no disc etc etc???
They often go for £400 on eBay with maps, code, antenna and cabling - that could easily work out cheaper than buying all the bits yourself.

Is it me or do these seem a lot of money for what they fundermentally are. When you consider you can buy a brand new smart tv, laptops, iPads etc for around the same money as a used RNS-e

Is it me or do these seem a lot of money for what they fundermentally are. When you consider you can buy a brand new smart tv, laptops, iPads etc for around the same money as a used RNS-e

my thoughts exactly. There are better double din products on the market for less hassle and money. If you want to be a purist, get one, frankly if I can get better for less I'd go for it.

my thoughts exactly. There are better double din products on the market for less hassle and money. If you want to be a purist, get one, frankly if I can get better for less I'd go for it.

What are the alternatives with built in nav????

There are those Chinese units on eBay which are surprisingly good! kenwood makes a good double din unit, with Bluetooth, phone and iPod compatibility. Since I got the dension, I just have my iPod in a holder near the steering wheel and use google map app.

audi can charge between 50 and 120 to get the code
plus gps antenna disc so 250 aint that good realy
you can get them for between 300 and 400 with everything you need

Don't think I'd risk some scrote smashing the window to steal it (possibly again) we've repaired 6 in the last month. I considered buying one myself, but after the amount that come in for a new window, drivers door painting for chips and the dashboard replacing is unbelievable.