JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Hybrid turbo for 170 TDI - whats the deal with this Hybrid malark?

My turbo failed on the 170 back in December. I needed it repaired as quickly as possible as wife was in hospital and needed the car. Rather than have it repaired I had a new one fitted. At the time I asked about having a hybrid and was told that there wasn't really much point unless you were doing other more extensive engine work.

Its a bit late now but what exactly is the deal with hybrid turbos? And would it really make that much difference having one fitted?

My 170 has DPF, EGR and EGR cooler removed. Turbo failed as the oil filter hadn't been changed - by the looks of it from day 1!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    i'm in the middle of trying to get one at the moment, if you want one, try these guys, Hybrid performance - Turbo Technics
    however i've emailed them, phoned them, left messages and i guess they dont like me ha, dont get an ebay one as you'll never know, and as a mate of mine found out with his 1.8t a4, he bought a cheap one on ebay and turned out it was pretty much made of chocolate,
    all i got done to mine at the moment is DPF removed, remap and EGR restricting gasket fitted, pushed out 207hp and 420nm,
    i was told if i wanted to get a hybird it would be a good idea to get a FMI (front mounted intercooler) aswell, placed i had mine remaped done one and it pushed out over 250bhp, with 540Nm or around those figures, but if you havent got quattro you wont ever be able to put that power down, apprently it cause of all the torque it was making it would spin up all the way into 4th,

so i'm also looking at LSD to try and help with that, hope this helps
    ohh and aslo looking at getting an uprated clutch, as you'll probably find that'll slip alot
    Last edited by Purdy99; 16th January 2013 at 13:44.
    Camillia Well don't want to just settle for any average joe now!
    Purdy haha good point, but then again... apparently anything better doesn't exist
    Camillia No it doesn't... Hence why I'm complaining about it... Come on Purdy you can't be this stupid lol
    Purdy lol the hidden point i was saying, is surely it would be smart to stop chasing what doesnt exist.... then maybe... just maybe! it would shut all you girls up who moan about men...
    Camillia Touché

Classic case of Girls Moaning about Boys...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Steer clear of Turbo Technics, go with Turbo Dynamics, imho much better.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    oh really?? whys that? mind you they've never answered me, so was looking for somewhere else that will do them ha
    Camillia Well don't want to just settle for any average joe now!
    Purdy haha good point, but then again... apparently anything better doesn't exist
    Camillia No it doesn't... Hence why I'm complaining about it... Come on Purdy you can't be this stupid lol
    Purdy lol the hidden point i was saying, is surely it would be smart to stop chasing what doesnt exist.... then maybe... just maybe! it would shut all you girls up who moan about men...
    Camillia Touché

Classic case of Girls Moaning about Boys...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I found they didnt seem to back up the equipment to well, several people have had trouble mapping the turbo I bought, they have no compressor wheel maps to base it on which for me makes me wonder how they managed to matc different wheel to stock turbo without knowing how it can be mapped as such, the actually socalled companies that can map, seem to talk bs about who does the maps, numerous things & I'm going to go back to them soon & complain about it as my Dynamics version on other A3 works like a charm, maps beautifully.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    I was wondering what route you would have for a BRD engine with a hybrid turbo. I asked about a straight swap but no one knows.

I have a Audi A4 2.0 tdi S-Line Special Edition Quattro. I recently replaced the turbo for a recon but I was looking for a upgraded as it was being changed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Purdy99 View Post
    all i got done to mine at the moment is DPF removed, remap and EGR restricting gasket fitted, pushed out 207hp and 420nm,
    i was told if i wanted to get a hybird it would be a good idea to get a FMI (front mounted intercooler) aswell, placed i had mine remaped done one and it pushed out over 250bhp, with 540Nm or around those figures, but if you havent got quattro you wont ever be able to put that power down, apprently it cause of all the torque it was making it would spin up all the way into 4th,
    I bet you that pulls well for a diesel. my brother has a a4 b7 2.0 tdi 140bhp with a egr delete and a minor remap and that pulls harder then my car but mines quattro so it does not feel to pull as hard. he spins up in 1st 2nd and 3rd on dry roads.