2.0 TDi Turbo question

JDM82

Reaction score
My car is 2005 A4 2.0 Tdi S-Line.....

OK so my cars been sat all day.... I come home, get the car out the garage and set off for the gym.... I drive a few minutes, out the estate and onto a duel carrageway...... I open her up and as expected, the turbo spools then nothing! The car goes flat, loses power, no turbo. The engine still runs and the car still drives, just flat...... Foot down and the cars un-responsive....

Get to my destination and switch off the engine. An hour or so later I get back in the car and set off for home. I take it easy til I feel its warmed up then I gently put my foot down and the turbo starts to spool as normal? I take it easy all the way home, the car doesn't feel like it used to?

What happened?????????????????????????? Have I caused damage? Did the turbo reset? Should I get it checked out?

I know nothing about engines, turbo's etc so please treat me like a total novice.

Possible egr valve failure mate, mine went a while ago, it was as if the turbo spooled up as and when it wanted to,egr valves are quite common to play up, i checked mine by removing it and openeing the sealed plastic housin and found the gears all chewed up. the egr is located on the inlet manifold mate.

I would start with egr system, I was driving down the a1 went for an over take and lost most of the power. The car was like that for about 20 miles, it sometimes comes back for a little while but then fail again. Had my egr valve replaced under warranty.

I would also check all the hoses, but I cannot believe a hose would detach and then pop back on again!

That sounds like the problem I had. The EGR was changed but in hindsight I would have tried cleaning it first. I had the old one back and it was caked in black carbon build up and thats just on a car that covered 50000 miles.

I had the same problem, gave it to my mechanic, he changed the maf sensor, pipes, egr valve and it was still doing the same thing. I then ordered a map sensor and put that in myself, and problem solved. What a pain these engines are man!!!

or could be the variable veins in the turbo sticking mate!
short drives and not giving your car a boot now and again can cause the variable veins to soot up and stick causing a overboost fault and the car to revert to limp mode!
when it happens again, pull over, turn engine off, remove key then restart and should be ok!
best way to avoid future occurance is to excersise your veins!
under normal driving conditions these are not getting fully opened and closed and the best advice i have is, every now and again try and find a hill and pull up it, but alternate the revs before changing, such as take it to 3000rpm in 2nd gear, hold it there for about 5 seconds, change to 3rd, take engine to 4000rpm in 3rd and hold it there for 5 seconds and then change to 4th and try and do the same but a bit higher without running out of road or exceeding the speed limit!
this way the veins are working more than normal and any soot build ups causing them to stick will be expelled out the exhaust!
try this technique as it works! and if still no better, chances are its not the veins and something else.
driving short journeys and driving like a granny is the main culprit for sticky veins mate!
do this once a week or once a journey in ideal conditions and this problem will be put to bed! (make sure your car is properly warmed up though first)