Melted coil pack.....

PhilMill63

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted some opinions here, my 2.0t fsi was running rough as hell this morning then coughed and died after about 10 miles (tried to get it garage) when the car stopped I could smell burning so popped the bonnet and was confronted by a smoking coil pack on no.2 it has melted doen inside the rocker cover and is sat about 15mm higher than the rest. the car is dead and wont even fire so I am worried that it may have fried the ECU! any comments on this?? I am guessing I cannot just stick a new coil pack on it??

Typical that it dies when the wife's car is in the garage for major surgery too:crying:

Phil

No experience with the TFSI, but on the earlier engines the coils power supply is fused, so its likely this fuse has popped, cutting power to the remaining three coils and stopping the engine.

A quick look at the wiring diagram for a random TFSI engine shows a 20A fuse labelled "S131" covering the coils. This appears to be situated in the plenum chamber (scuttle area) electronics box.

That is great news, maybe I can relax, I just hope I havent bought a lemon.... owned it ofr 4 weeks and it had been back in garage for 9 days already.

A word of warning for the future, dont drive your car when its running like that.

Not because you might melt the coil and blow the fuse, but when a coil fails and it starts missfiring, its dumping lots of unburned fuel into the catalytic converter, which will often result in the converter core melting as the fuel burns off inside, leaving you a large bill for a new one!

You just need to hope that your 10mile drive hasnt damaged it.

Gulp... I did wonder about that, is there anyway of knowing or will it jsut fail the next MOT??

if its melted the core i'll probably be massively down on power and barely want to pull itself along.

If it drives normally (once fixed) you've probably got away with it.

oh the joys of fsiT