Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors...

It's not the head gasket is it? Check the expansion tank under the bonnet, see if it is milky & smells of toast. Or could it be the DMFW & you're getting clutch smoke, what does the white smoke smell like? Be careful cos' if it's the flywheel, I've heard they can shatter and f**k up the gearbox.
Hope you sort it, be good to know the fault.

its not clutch smoke, its oily diesel smell, iv been told maybe stem oil seals?

White smoke is unburnt diesel getting into the exhaust system, burning oil is blue smoke, black smoke is excessive diesel being burnt. First thing to do is check your fuel filter isn't blocked, strange as it may seem this seems to throw the ECU into having a fit & sends the fuelling all over the place, if the filter is clean then check the injection timing, if the timing is ok check your turbo seals & boost pipes aren't leaking.

Not been on for a bit as i gave up on it. Been using my trusty corsa b for a few month. Had it on reader only things mine is showing is glow plugs and maf sensor so have ordered them going to get to work on it next week as im off and sick of the uncomfy ride and hassle with the kids. I doubt its going to be just those two things. Been reading up and could be many things by sounds of it. Probably give up on it again and just do my clutch on my 80 v6. Think it looks better then a4 too. Plus it still runs at 202000 mile. Just carnt kill it.

Mine is running just like yours after having my injectors replaced when cold. Soon as its a bit warm it's perfect and fuel economy is excellent. I called the dealer and they assured me it's nothing they did and they would charge me if they proved that.

I'm new on here but seems I'm further down the line with this issue. I have a 2007 2.0 tdi (170) and have had the exact same problem.

I had a break down a while back (probably about a year) due to faulty injectors, one failed but two were replaced (FOC) and the car ran ok, still under warranty.

Then, recently (1 month ago) I needed the cam belt change and Audi changed the other two injectors.

Since then I've had this intermittent issue where a slight stutter between 1600-2000 revs happens (but not all the time).
Took the car back to Audi (saying it was fine until you did the work). they ran diagnostic to find no codes, but it was running fine when they came out for a test drive, damn.

Few days later it happened again. Went back to audi and again they ran a diagnostic no fault codes stored and running fine again.

However, yesterday it had a major kangaroo episode (in fourth gear at 35mph), happened in 3rd & 2nd gear (as slowing down) and again in 1st when I tried to setoff again. Didn't turn the engine off and rang Audi saying I'm on the way!!

They rang this morning, still no fault code and running ok again. However they did say that say that someone else had the "exact same issue" but caused a fault code and was due to the actuator spitting in air with the fuel.

They have ordered one and it will be replaced monday. I did a search within this forum and sure enough "actuator" and 170p a4 all come up with this fault which seems linked to the injector change (which as i've now found out is actually a recall which was unknown to me, as we - the people - were trying to get this actioned via VOSA. All this has been done "by courtesy" as i've been lucky enough for AUDI to accept this as their responsibility.

hope this helps others, and fixes mine

Mine arent just symptoms now. As on my birthday it cut out completly after juddering and a loss of power for about 300yards. Towed it back home yesterday using the handbrake for brakes which was fun. Engine will start first time but is a knocking/clicking noise on tick over. Clouds of white smoke but wont rev at all. Engine management light has come on now. Going to get my mechanic over from barnsley to try find out the fault. Unless anyone closer to s5 area has a reader?
Right had the maf sensor and glow plugs replaced as it through these codes up. Was still rough as hell same white smoke to start with. Took round block started to run a little better. Got back home with it sat still reving it for a bit went from white to black. Left to run then it ran spot on. Booked in for mot which was going to take it in today half way to test center started to judder loss of power until its revved hard then black smokes like hell and goes. Didnt put it through mot as will fail on emissions. Mechanic took another look couldnt figure what it could be told him about egr had that cleaned no difference. Hes now geussing at cat convertor. But also came up with list of other stuff it could be e.g injectors oil pump basically all stuff some of you guys have had done only for it not to be fixed.
Would rather know what it is and fix it rather then just throw money at possible faults only for it not to fix it. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm new on here but seems I'm further down the line with this issue. I have a 2007 2.0 tdi (170) and have had the exact same problem.

I had a break down a while back (probably about a year) due to faulty injectors, one failed but two were replaced (FOC) and the car ran ok, still under warranty.

Then, recently (1 month ago) I needed the cam belt change and Audi changed the other two injectors.

Since then I've had this intermittent issue where a slight stutter between 1600-2000 revs happens (but not all the time).
Took the car back to Audi (saying it was fine until you did the work). they ran diagnostic to find no codes, but it was running fine when they came out for a test drive, damn.

Few days later it happened again. Went back to audi and again they ran a diagnostic no fault codes stored and running fine again.

However, yesterday it had a major kangaroo episode (in fourth gear at 35mph), happened in 3rd & 2nd gear (as slowing down) and again in 1st when I tried to setoff again. Didn't turn the engine off and rang Audi saying I'm on the way!!

They rang this morning, still no fault code and running ok again. However they did say that say that someone else had the "exact same issue" but caused a fault code and was due to the actuator spitting in air with the fuel.

They have ordered one and it will be replaced monday. I did a search within this forum and sure enough "actuator" and 170p a4 all come up with this fault which seems linked to the injector change (which as i've now found out is actually a recall which was unknown to me, as we - the people - were trying to get this actioned via VOSA. All this has been done "by courtesy" as i've been lucky enough for AUDI to accept this as their responsibility.

hope this helps others, and fixes mine

Please let us know if this sorts out the problem. If it does I'll get it done.

Any idea how much an actuator is?

Are audi saying that this problem is linked to the injector change and are they fixing foc ?

Are audi saying that this problem is linked to the injector change and are they fixing foc ?

I second that question.

Think the actuator they're referring to is the black plastic one on the front end of the inlet manifold, diaphragm splits apparently and causes power loss. I believe it should operate the inlet manifold flaps.

Might as well add my mini rant to this thread!

Now a further 48hrs later (& less than 50 miles) the car is running rough again with a very pronounced splutter at between 1200-1600 rpm, could this be the fuel filter being blocked or am i going to have to make a 3rd trip to the dealer? :(

Just got this from an Audi master tec on another forum, seems to be a possible cause for rough idle and splutter ........

book your car into Audi and ask them to look at the software update for mild hesitation between 1800rpm and 2200rpm.If applicable then I'm sure this will resolve your problem.

Has anyone here has their software updated ?

Anyone got any info on an ECU software update that is possibly supposed to be done at the same time as the injector swap? Noticed a mention over on the A3 8p forum....

Just had recall on mine yesterday via Audi / VOSA. 2008 2.0 tdi 170 sport. BMN engine.

Letter is headed via Audi & VOSA jointly. Letter heading is 'Customer satisfaction campaign-piezo unit injector'

Hope everything is going to go smoothly with this? Mines had a bit of a flat spot at the bottom end since I got it, so hoping on some improvement on this.

She's off to Gilder Audi Sheffield in August. Hoping for a 'right first time' repair on this. I'll report back when she's done.

Hi to all,

I am new here and i was wondering if this issue has been already spread all over the Audi dealers. Like an example, my Audi is on Romanian plate but when i was in vacation this summer in Germany i had same problem with my BRD engine. I was running on the autobahn nearby Landshut and the engine stopped around 140km/h. I had that spring orange light on for 15 sec blinking and engine went dead. I took the car using Adac service to Audi Landshut dealer with cost of 300 euro for 5 km away and have it repared the next day for 830 euro. They had replaced 2 injectors 03G130073TX, 4 X 03G103385A, 5 X N10581101, 1 X 03G103483B.

They never mentioned anything about Audi issue and act like was my fault. I think this is outrageous and incredible for a premium car. I have already emailed to audi zentrum landshut, and audi germany. Waiting for feedback.

I have noticed on here about a software update for the mild hesitation......has anybody had it done and know what cars its applicable too?

Thanks,

Finally, Audi replied my feedback. Full refund with 2 years warranty anywhere in Europe.

I changed the black plastic actuator on mine and in runs much better - no rough idle and no more hesitation. The old one had a split in the diaphragm when I took it apart. What also probably helped was I cleaned all the crud from the inlet manifold flaps whilst it was off and the egr ( though that wasn't too bad ).

Hi I'm experiencing injector failure on my 2008 bpw tdi and wondered did audi change yours FOC , any help would be appreciated

If yours is a 170 pd tdi you should be able to just book it in and get it sorted...

Hi mines the 140 , been reading most of the issues lay with the 170 but wondered if the 140 was covered as well

Thanks for the reply , that's not good news
I've been quoted £1300 by audi to change one , so not wanting to pay this I put a refurb unit in and no improvement so changed the injector wiring loom but no change ,so back to audi they confirmed still No3 fault , ok injector out swap with No 4 back into audi confirm fault now with 4 so in my mind I'm think ok it's def the injector , purchased another gen recon injector and put this in 4 and guess what still no improvement.so at this stage I'm in to £500 of injectors £320 for audi investigation work £62 for the loom not to mention the time spent doing all this work ,having the car laid up for 3 weeks its driving me mad .......... Any ideas would be great

I have the same motor with a few issues. But my misses has the same engine in her A6. Been all over this problem and had a guy messing about swapping injectors. Waste of time. The main issue she had was horrible tick over and occasionally stalling. We sorted lately by having an Audi update on the software and put our own injectors back in. Have done a couple of thousand miles with virtually no problem. Moral of the story is get a set of injectors from a donor if possible to make sure that's what you are dealing with. Hope this is of some relevance to your problem

Hi there, this post was just bounced into my inbox cos I had probs with my 140.
M8 Audi are supposed to be swapping injectors for free on the 170's!!! Vosa have instructed them to do so. Any injectors you've paid for is refundable by audi

Thanks for the reply , that's not good news
I've been quoted £1300 by audi to change one , so not wanting to pay this I put a refurb unit in and no improvement so changed the injector wiring loom but no change ,so back to audi they confirmed still No3 fault , ok injector out swap with No 4 back into audi confirm fault now with 4 so in my mind I'm think ok it's def the injector , purchased another gen recon injector and put this in 4 and guess what still no improvement.so at this stage I'm in to £500 of injectors £320 for audi investigation work £62 for the loom not to mention the time spent doing all this work ,having the car laid up for 3 weeks its driving me mad .......... Any ideas would be great

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I'm just searching this topic of the faulty injector recall on the 2.0 TDI 170 engines. I recently purchased my 57 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 Special Edition, and have noticed quite regularly that while accelerating under low revs usually below 2000rpm, the engine seems to judder quite a bit. One occasion was worse than others I have felt where it felt like the car was about to stall. Also, while the engine is cold at idle, the whole car seems to rock left and right, the revs stay solid around the 900rpm mark. I have read this could be a separate issue such as the mounts.

The car has 70k with a full Audi dealer service history, and I can't seem to spot anywhere mentioning the injectors being replaced.

What chances would I have getting audi to replace the injectors under goodwill if that does seem to be the problem. I understand it could be something else causing the juddering acceleration such as loom/fuel pump, however, IF the car is eligible for the replacement, I would obviously want to go through with it just on safety grounds alone.

Would anyone have any advice on this?

Many thanks

Best bet is just phone a couple of your nearest audi dealers and ask if there is a recall on your car

Yeah im planning on giving them a call this week on my day off, was just wondering if anyone had recently managed to get the recall on a car past the 60k warranty mark etc

A recall has nothing to do with warranty. It's done on safety reasons mostly and doesn't matter about milage as far as I know

Call Audi UK, don't bother with a dealer. Audi UK pay a fixed price for labour & parts for the remedy work, the dealership makes no money on the parts & less money on labour than they would make from a member of the public, they have no incentive to confirm the work needs doing & on occasion flat out deny the recall so they don't have to do the job. Speak to Audi UK & let them direct you to dealership.

It's worth checking the fuel filter has been done, they reckon they're good for 60k miles which is ridiculous, I do mine more like every 15-20k.

I have a 56 plate tdi 170 and I'm just going through the motions now it's ok when you first start and run up to temp , then when you go back to it couple of hours later it idles dodgy and smokes really bad ,it has had 2 injectors done though it's had new egr , dpf removal and remap , maf ect , any ideas or advice would be great

A bit of a resurrection on this thread, I know, but...

I've developed a intermittent error in VCDS on one of the injectors (I had all 4 + loom done right back at the beginning of the issue in 2011) - so I suppose if it turns out to be a faulty injector and not an adjustment thing then not a chance in hell of a warranty claim on the these? Just posting in case anybody has had a similar second failure...

Ta

I've had a second failure mine were done at lake side Audi October 2011 done around 30k and went

Mine were not the electrical solinoid that failed as per... it was down too a set of recon injectors that were fitted with not 1 recon part on them the plunger had actually shattered inside injector no damage cause as the plunder has a seal all metal inside funny how plungers were in perfect condition and the metal in the injector shattered!fitted by lakeside Audi these recalls were obviously not putting brand new units anyone who have had there injectors done under recall did you ever get or see your old injectors? If you buy a set from Audi or vw tps they are not new at all!

Hi Darren - did you get it sorted under warranty? (unlikely, I know). Cheers!