Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    lives for speed

Status

Cam belt or chain?

I'm getting conflicting information and would be grateful for some advice! Are the D3 A8 4.2 petrol engines belt or chain driven? Also, the 4.0 Tdi's, same question....belt or chain?

Either way, what are the service intervals for change and what sort of damage are we talking (roughly)?

I've emailed Audi but don't seem to get a response from them and have also asked on another forum but haven't had a straight answer!

Straight forward answers would be gratefully received as I'm looking at getting one in the next few weeks and need to go in with my eyes open and some haggling points

Thanks for reading

2. # ADS
    ADS

lives for speed

Status
    Anyone?

lives for speed

Status
    Aw, come on....someone must know

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I have to say i dont know, but i can bet if you PM Siena, he will be able to help you.

lives for speed

Status
    Thanks Byzan

I came across this wee little pic [below] of the rear of a 4.2 V8 which I think answers my questions regarding belt or chain but still need to know when they should be serviced and the costs involved!

lives for speed

Status
    Further to above, I've now been told by a tuning company that up to around 2008 the petrol engines are belt driven

Is there anyone here that owns either a 2003 or 2004 A8 with the 4.2 petrol engine that knows for definate?

I'm getting a real headache regarding this now, soooo many different people have told me different things!

Again, thanks for reading

lives for speed

Status
    I've now had a clear answer [thanks Siena] and can confirm the D3 4.2 petrol engines are indeed belt driven for anyone else that may need this information

I have also been informed by another party that there is a wee bit more clearance at the front in the D3's which could enable the change, if your good, without removing the entire front end........we'll see about that one!

Reverse Gear

Status
    If its a belt 60K will do and if its a chain, it doesnt
    S8 AHC with DTA ecu and ferrari 360 exhaust system (in a toyota Mr2 roadster)
    http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=15142