WOW!!

S80PMC

Reaction score
Website
www.paulclarkson.co.uk
Just got back from AMD & all i can say is WOW!! I'm over the moon with the work & it appears we've broken the 400bhp & 348lbft of torque (no idea what that is in NM?) barrier

The Milltek sounds amazing & has transformed the engine note. Best part about the zorst is that when the car is just cruising, the noise is no greater than the OEM zorst, but when you open her up & at a standstill it sounds amazing.

The plots are not accurate, as the tiptronic gearbox was causing the dyno to give mental figures. At one point, the dyno readout topped out at 475bhp & 430lbft of torque. According to AMD, the machine can't plot autos & tiptronics very well, so no idea how it will cope with the DSG's.

I is one very happy bunny

Paul,

I'd be interested to hear more about the transformation of your car since the re-map - driveability, acceleration, pulling power, the dreaded mpg, etc ! I've got a 99 S8 and was considering exactly the same course of action as the one you've taken !!

Regards

Richard

Richard,

As regards performance, the changes are not massive due to having 360bhp as stock. I can notice the car pulling a little stronger though. In regular Drive mode, the car feels quicker, but its in Sport mode where i can feel the biggest change. Even with Quattro & Traction Control etc etc, the car really is trying hard to gain traction, as with the extra power all 4 wheels just want to light up (although the roads were damp). I'll soon work out how best to launch the car, but the throttle response is awesome & the engine just spins up to the 7K redline that much quicker. In real terms, the 0-60 has dropped to around 5 secs & with the speed limiter now removed, she will keep going & max out at about 190mph.

MPG remains about the same & i was able to average 25mpg on the motorway run home from AmD. General MPG has probably not changed.

The other huge difference is in the exhaust/engine note. With the Milltek, the car sounds so throaty i can best compare it to a NASCAR motor, but as a bonus, it is not intrusive when cruising, but floor the giggle peddle & she roars into action (i just adore the new zorst note).

Paul,

It sounds like it was worth the bag of sand to get the work done ! I was just thinking about getting the re-map done (I'm even more tempted now !!), but may consider doing the exhaust as well. Is the exhaust just the back-box to tail pipe, or were the cats done as well ?

Cheers

Richard

Sounds very interesting Paul, congratulations! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think Supersprint is about to release a "crossover-kit", that might be very interesting, as the cat replacements delivers most power gains here I think (AMD said that too, but they only have cat replacements for S4 V8).

What did this setup cost you Paul?

The jury is still out on the Supercharger conversion, but however I'd like the idea very much, the money issue might be a bit silly. I've not received a quote yet on the fitting costs, and then there's also the exhaust I'll want to change, plus a few other bits and bolts. Hmm...

I might 'just' go for a ECU/TCM re-map and the exhaust... Have to think about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

BTW: I find it very difficult to reach this site lately. It seems to be offline a lot (I get the "site pending..." page and there it often ends. It just 'hangs' there, and that happened a lot lately). I assume you've got the same problems?

Also I can't replace or place the cursor in the message field with my mouse. I.E. I have to use the arrow keys to move the cursor about if I want to make a change f.i. I can't select or cut and paste text, and sometimes I can't even access the message field all together after I click "preview reply". Which is most annoying I must say. So if a mod reads this, I'd be obliged if you could fix this...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My S8 is of the same generation..even down to the lovely red interior..!!
Want more power..and will probably go down the same route as yourself. I have two questions...my car was bought as an ex demo of Audi Lancaster and it seems quicker than my first S8 (another 52 plate..stolen and used in an armed robbery!!- the cops couldnt keep up with it apparently), and I understand that some demo cars were chipped...how can I check if this the case....and what about the dreaded warranty issues??

Hi Sven,

Thought it was just me....anyway I have given the box under my desk, the one with wires coming out of it, a good kicking...and hey presto...Audi Sport web site is working...!!!!
Importantly, like you I have now discovered how good the S8 is..and please keep me abreast of any news on supercharging the beast..

I looked at an ex-demo A8 before I got my one and that had been chipped, it had a Superchip that the dealer had put on it.

I didnt end up buying it as it seemed a bit tired

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Clarkson said:
The plots are not accurate, as the tiptronic gearbox was causing the dyno to give mental figures. At one point, the dyno readout topped out at 475bhp & 430lbft of torque. According to AMD, the machine can't plot autos & tiptronics very well, so no idea how it will cope with the DSG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

What???!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

That sounds like hogwash to me. There shouldn't be any issue with Autos or Tips.
What kind of dyno was it? A Flintstone dyno?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Either it was an old out of synch dyno (doubt it), or the tech was lost in his head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif