Badger5AH Fabrications

Thread: Rust

Reverse Gear

Status

Rust

I have just noticed that there is bubbles under the paint around the gutter inserts in my A6 Avant.
    Being a twonk and looking at how bad the damage is, I removed the gutter trim and with it came a fair bit of paint. The rust has not gone through, but the channels and the roof has some very obviouse bubbles and now missing paint.
    I know nothing of body work. Can this be treated and sprayed without costing the earth???

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    See if its covered by Audis 12yr anti corrosion warranty first
    Pete

Reverse Gear

Status
    Would be nice if they would acknowledge my questions.
    Try again.
    Would the warranty be in place if not serviced through an approved Audi agent??

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueone
    Would be nice if they would acknowledge my questions.
    Try again.
    Would the warranty be in place if not serviced through an approved Audi agent??
    Are you just emaling them like? Dont bother, they dont seem to answer.

I would pop into your local dealer and they will tell you where you need to take the car. It shouldnt matter where the car has been serviced.

Good luck
    Pete

Brum brum

Status
    Definitely worth paying them a visit. There is a known corrosion problem exactly like this with the 8L model A3 and S3. Mine is in at this very moment at Camberley Audi (aka Colbournes of Guildford) having both gutters replaced and the rear quarters re-sprayed - around £800 of work all in. My S3 was a personal import and has only ever had one main dealer service but it was approved no problem. Providing the rust is from within and not from a scratch or a bad accident repair, you will be covered - good luck.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Reverse Gear

Status
    Last week I noticed the same corrosion around both gutter inserts on my 2001 A6 Avant - There is no perforation of the paint. I was surprised to see corrosion in this area as this is probably the last place I'd expect to find it.

Good luck Blueone, I'll be interested to know how you get on.

Reverse Gear

Status

Thumbs up me too

mind has gone in the same place. I have just got the car didn't see any rust when a brought it. i got it private well gutted but toke it to local dealer and they are doing it as we speak. i even got a A4 quattro to drive around in cheers Paul 99 2.8 quattro A6 avant

Reverse Gear

Status
    Good news, I took the car into John Fox in Nottingham and they arranged for the car to be inspected. The man from Audi tested the paint thickness to check its originality and approved the repair so I'm just waiting to get the car booked into the bodyshop in a week or two.

The corrosion warranty really does mean something, I'm impressed!

Reverse Gear

Status

Any pics of the rust?

Hi All,

Has anyone who has successfully had their A6 C5 Avant roof gutter corrosion sorted under waranty got any pictures they can post to compare? i.e. 'before shots' of the ugly rot ruining their precious Audi.

This would help with my efforts to get mine progressed.

Any advice or other history of success with this nightmare would be much appreciated. I'm hoping Blocco or quattroa6 can help. My '99 A6 Avant must be about the same age as yours.

Cheers.

Reverse Gear

Status
    sorry didn't take any before photo's but the bubbles where very small and they have to be from the inside out.no chips so don't pick it. I think i have found some more under the bonnet behind rad.

2nd Gear

Status
    Dam mine's got this too! tho being a 1998 model would i be covered?

Anyway no matter now as i've ground the rust out treated the area and is now re-primed as we speak ready for a full re-spray in a month or so.