Thinking about an A6 Avant (Looking for advise)

minimadmotorman

Reaction score
Looking for an A6 Quattro Avant for my missus (and me as a tow car/family holiday car)

OH only tends to pootle around locally doing less than 100 miles per week so was thinking a V6 petrol may fit the bill better than a TDI.

Want it to last so looking for low mileage with history.

Came across this on eBay/Autotrader but not sure if it's too expensive??
Audi A6 2.4 Quattro SE 5dr FULL SERVICE HISTORY + CAMBELT

Any advice what to look out for if we go look at it?

Very thirsty and gutless compared to 2.5tdi or the 1.9tdi for that matter. I'd go diesel!

Reactions: 6833jon
2nd Wes's oppinion, the later 2002 on 2.4 are a bit better, 170 Bhp but too smooth engine and as above, thirsty ! Goes well on a run but as above, you better off with a decent diesel...

For pootling around I'd recommend the 1.9tdi especially if you're not too concerned about performance, very economical too, my average is 46mpg mostly town with motorway cruise a few times a week.

Also I would always go with the manual gearbox, lots of horror stories with auto.

Just remember that the 2.5 tdi is a better contender if you're looking to tow heavy outfit for extended periods of time. The a6 tdi quattro has a gearbox oil cooler (either manual or auto) which keeps the gearbox happy for long time. I tow with a allroad, by far the best towcar i ever had- 500 to 1000 miles a day without breaking a sweat !

Auto's are ok as long as they are tiptronic gearboxes, but they can still bite your back if they go wrong ! Rule of thumb, if a auto is for sale, it probably started to have issues and they wanna get rid...

165K on my Auto....stilll rocking on nicely....
Service history for the box oil changes is the big issue I suggest.....
If the mech goes repair is about the same as a manual clutch job..
Just my 10p worth....

My auto is coming up to the 200k mile mark. AFAIK all that has been done is a change of ATF oil (and the cheap fools didn't seem to change the filter).
Got some problems with high power output on the 5th gear (as in full throttle acceleration), I think it can be excused at those miles in a chipped 2.7t engine (roughly 280hp now and it was the auto-trans that Audi blamed for de-tuning the engine to 230). The problem is that it goes back and forth between 4 and 5 in both manual and auto mode. My guess is that it starts slipping in fifth, goes down to four, get data that indicates it should change to fifth... Will change ATF and filter probably in spring, until then I mostly use manual on faster roads so I just go into 4 manually before putting the pedal down.