Knocking from front o/s wheel

amimmortal

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've just returned from a 400 mile round trip to the in-laws with no problems to report. Then, this morning, on a drive up to Perth, I became aware of a noticeable knocking sound coming from the o/s front wheel (I think).

It was most obvious at about 55mph, but could be heard clearly up to and beyond 70mph - it was noisiest when going downhill and disappeared completely when I braked. It didn't seem to make any difference if I was steering left or right at the time. It doesn't seem to be making any noise at lower speeds.

I recently had the front discs and pads changed, and the front o/s calliper was also replaced as the old one had seized, apparently.

The car's just turned over 69,000 miles. The o/s CV boot kit was fitted at 44,000 miles, and the n/s was done at 47,000 miles. Additionally, the n/s front lower ball joint was replaced at 51,000 miles.

Any tips welcome!

Cheers,

A.

I was about to post a thread but i have some similarities on my a3.
i think the noise started when i swapped tyres front to back. A whoomp whoomp whoomp rotational noise from driver side wheel when doing about 30-70 mph round sweeping left bends. Not wheel bearing.
Today i eventually finished upgrading to 312 discs n pads, the whoomp noise has gone but after about 30mph i hear a noise like something scraping at a point of the rotation. The noise changes when pressing brakes.

Due to this i think it could be a calliper related issue. My passenger calliper looked in better condition than driver side.

I can't understand the issue though , why would a calliper cause this noise.

Hi all,

Turns out the new disc is rubbing against the metal guard plate. Not sure why - could be that the discs fitted were too thick. Either way, nothing too serious.

Garage has pledged to get it sorted for me either way.

Cheers!

A.

Low speed Knocking......front and rear lower control arms.... and then the upper ones.

Lower ball joints not easy.....upper pinch bolts right cow...

Then the engine mounts?

Hi all,

Car now back and all noise gone. The guard just needed adjusting so hopefully that's the last of that...

A.