What engine 2.0T or 2.0 TDI 170

aadams1x

Reaction score
Hi, I guess it is a nice dilemma to have but I have decided to definatly go for a A5 Cabriolet, I own a a4 2.0 TDI Cab at the moment and time for a change!

Problem is what engine, the price of the 170 TDI and 2.0T are about the same but what is the driving experience like on each?

Please help!! Thanks

Depends on what exactly your after? The actual driving of the 2.0T might be a little better, more revvy etc. And if that's all your worried about, then great, go for it.

On the other hand though, my money would go on the diesel. Likely to have stronger residuals, easier on the fuel, and post remap, doubtful there would be any difference between them in the real world. My 140 TDi post remap was as fast as my 2.8V6 Golf 4motion on the road (without too many twisties obviously), so A-B not much between them.

Just my thoughts though, best make whatever decision is best for your circumstances.

Thanks for the quick reply, my current a4 140 is chipped and i love the surge of power, i am guessing chipping the 170 will have the same dramatic result...on the other hand 255 bhp on the 2.0t chipped is also appealing!! Decisions Decisions!

I have a A4 170 tdi remapped to 200bhp.It has a VERY short first gear and second isnt much longer.But it comes into its own in third up.Really flies.Trouble is it red lines at four thou, so dont expect to stay in gear too long, and its slow from standing.The mpg is shyte, before and after remap is 32 whether i boot it or not, mixed or urban.So much for 50+!!!!.The TDI is heavier too.If i could,id have the petrol, and remapped by cnlremapping.And a flappy paddle.Its point and shoot.

Hi, The fuel issue is worrying me for both these engines now, are there any others that can post your average fuel consumptions with the A5 Cab with either the 170 TDI or 2.0 tfsi?

I get 45 mpg on my current A4 Cab with the 2.0 TDI 140 which is chipped, according to audi it would be even better with the 2.0 170 a5 cab......maybe this is not the case!

Whatever you do QUATTRO or non Q is I suggest a more important question. For me it has to be QUATTRO.:blackrs4: