A5 Retrofitting options - Can this be done?

invisible

Reaction score
If you have read the new members thread you will see we are picking up a new A5 Sportback 2.0TDI SE Multitronic back end of this week.

In short we choose to take one from stock as to order one with the options we wanted would have to wait until Nov/Dec.

I would therefore like to understand if it is feasible to add these at a later date (Either as a self-install or buy Audi/A N Other);

1a. DVD Sat Nav (The £1585 optional extra) - Immediately I am thinking that this will either require a new console (or modification to the existing console) to take the chrome control dial. Would the rest of the unit however be plug and play or does this involve alot more work?

1b. If not feasible what installs / units have others tried (aftermarket Sat Nav / DVD players). I would be wanting to install a unit that fully integrates with the car and looks like it came with the car if that makes sense (basically a nice clean looking install)

2a. The xenon plus headlights with LED rear lights and LED daytime running lights. Not sure how this works in principle but on the audi car configurator this was free if you ordered the "adaptive light" (£1,105). Again is this a simple install? I would not necessarily want them to be adaptive but would like the LED lights and xenons.

2b. Any aftermarket ones if 2a not possible?

Speaking to the sales guy at Audi he basically suggested they 'have to be' factory installed to order and can not be retrospectivel added.

Clearly they can be added, it's just down to the level of modification and retro coding that needs to be done but it's possible that Audi would not undertake this themselves and in order to do it 'aftermarket' would cost considerably more in terms of labour.

Your guidance and view appreciated.

Looks like I have answered my own question re the Sat Nav anyway by contacting someone from off here. This is their response;

Your system is based on CAN bus modules and the new 2010 Nav system is MOST or fiber based.

All the parts of your MMI system including the screen would have to be replaced with MOST components and the whole car to be rewired for MOST

Navigation control unit with telephone built in added
Telephone removed
Radio module/amplifier replaced
Screen replaced
Controls around gear lever added
CAN gateway replaced with MOST version

When this has been completed the Audi warranty would be invalid as Audi would have no record of the upgrade and according to their SVM procedures the car would fail.

I also would assure you that this is a job that Audi will not untertake.

Guess that options is a no then! lol