A4 AVANT B5. alarm questions

NATE6874

Reaction score
Hi.
Hoping someone can help.
My alarm has it's moments and go's off usually early hours of th morning for no apparant reason... also it sounds like it has had enough and just can't be bothered to go off properly.
I have no need for the alarm to be honest and I would like to disconnect it. i have heard that this can be done by disconnecting the alarm horn/noisebox.
If I do this will it effect starting, running, stopping or locking?
Any offers of advice will be gratefully accepted.
Nate

The alarm horn is located behind the right hand side trim in the boot and is held on by a 10mm nut. It will not affect starting,running etc but wont stop the alarm going off, it just wont be heard (indicators will still flash). Would be worth checking the fault memory

Where the horn is loacted depends on the age of vehicle, whether the horn is the seperate unit or the battery backed up siren

you can remove the siren from the boot as byzan says it will depend on the year of your car.

mine started to do this so i removed it and have no problems and the indicators dont keep flashing as it just the battery backup siren

the problem with them is that the battery wear out/ start to corrode and you cant buy replacement batteries as the unit is sealed but even when you get it open you will find very odd sized batteries in there and the company that used to make them has gone bust in germany , and no one else makes them.

there are ways to get round it either buy new one from dealer for £80+ or you can make/replace the batteries its a bit of a pain to do and will depend on wether your batteries have corroded and knackered the circuit board they sit on, if so will have to be new or s/hand unit im afraid

i had wondered if you could replace with just an alrm siren and forget the battery backup bit?

Its not really a siern i dont think, more an electronic speaker.

The alarm ECU sends it a command via a seperate signal wire, rather than a siern where you just apply 12v and it makes noise.

Byzan; 205 man,
Mine is a 1997. Any ideas?
Does the year change the location of the alarm box?

Nate:

The alarm itself is part of the central locking system, and it also controls all the interior lighting etc, so you cant really remove it.

You could remove the siern, which will be mounted in one of the sides of the boot. On my avant it was on the drivers side.

Before you do anything, you really need to find out why its going off. If its a faulty siern, then replacing it will fix the problem. Removing it will also "cure" it in a sort of pikey manner. If its something else though, say the interior monitoring, then the alarm is still going to go off, it just wont make any noise. It'll still sit there flashing the indicators and draining the battery.

I tired to replace the corroded batteries with an external battery pack, rewiring it so they would charge as normal. didn't work and the siren still went off when it shouldn't .
I must be pikey as it currently sits under my desk here. haven't had a problem since.

jcb: i'm equally pikey, ours was dead so i unplugged it and braught it indoors to find a replacement.

Its still sitting on the shelf :p