A4 1.8TQS Clutch Change......Help and Advice Needed!!!!

muz_amin

QuattroBro
Reaction score
Website
www.expresssunglasses.co.uk
Hi guys, had my car remapped jus b4 xmas, was absolutley thrilled with the result......regardless clutch has started to slip a little now when im giving it the beans.......

ok so ive bought a dealer replacement clutch from eurocarparts costing me a tidy £105 and its in at the mechanics getting fixed however ive read a few places that if im changing the clutch i should change the flywheel aswel as the slave cylinder........

was hoping someone may be able to tell me if this is really neccessary as so far the jobs costing me £340 but if i add a flywheel and slave cylinder in the equation im looking at a parts bill of well over £500 plus vat plus labour! cant really afford that kinda money bearing in mind car is a 99V 1.8TQS with 129,000 on the clock........

how do i know if my flywheel is ok and whats your opinion????

cheers
Muz
:greyrs4:

I'm just about to change a clutch on a 1.8T, I will take a look at the flywheel when the clutch is off if it looks good then I'm not changing it. I have had a clutch replaced on my std 1.8 and that was done buy the Audi dealer (around 150K), and they never changed the flywheel, and that car has now over 230K on the clock and the clutch & flywheel is running fine.

Last edited:
I changed mine when i swapped the engine in january, however a new DMF was out of the question for me cost wise. The old DMF was toast, it had started juddering really badly in december, then went back to normal after a few weeks, but it was all signs of impending doom in my view, and it had done 194k so its not surprising.

I ended up getting a flywheel from an Audi 80 TDi, and a clutch from an early 1.9TDi A4. Cost me £35 for the flywheel from a breakers and the clutch was £130+vat from AllGermanParts for an OEM Sachs unit.

So far the clutch seems to be holding up, but the car doesnt get driven that hard. The TDi the clutch came from makes the same torque as a standard 1.8T, so i'm assuming that the clutch should be just as strong as a 1.8T unit.

Seems to be a cheap way of ditching the stupid dual mass unit.

Some pics:

DSC00401.JPG

and a video showing how knackered the DMF was:

http://friesian.lr90.org/gallery2/v/A4/MOV00402.MP4.html

It probably is better to change your flywheel because of the extra power going through. My cousin had his remap on his 1.8tqs and his flywheel and clutch needed to be changed because of the extra power. He only had it for a year and that was a LUK clutch. He ended up going to audi and getting the whole clutch and flywheel and crank seal for over 1100. So to save yourself some cash in the future worth getting it changed. I read on here somewhere that some guys were bolting the s4 flywheel + clutch on their tqs'. Worth reading about. Hop ethat helps:happy:

Gops

S4 flywheel doesnt fit onto a 1.8T, and the flywheel doesnt really care about the power, as long as its not broken. They do wear out though, and if the clutch has been slipping its quite likely it'll be knackered.

Some people have had custom flywheels made for the 1.8T that take the S4 clutch however, which is a good thing, because the S4 clutch is larger, and therefore can take more power.

My old clutch had the audi rings on it but also had LUK so audi probably just get the stuff from them in the first place.