I'm buying these in 2 hours! Help!

9 below zero

Reaction score
!Bbd5bd!!2k~$(KGrHqYH-C4EquiQBtyRBKwLwdGtUQ~~_12.JPG

Do they look as if they'll fit on my 1996 a4 b5 1.8 standard manual?

And could anyone hazard a guess as to what make they are?

Cheers

They'll certainly fit your car, yes.

Not sure what height it'll be when fitted though, without knowing spring rates and make.

yes, but why would you buy them if you don;t know what they are?
suspension is not a part you want to gamble on, even if they are £50!

I've bought them now anyway. couldn't get access to the site in my time of need so i took a gamble and paid £95 all in

Is there a thread on here with a advice to fitting suspension? I've had a quick search but found nothing and i don't feel too confident as i've only had the car 2 weeks

Last edited:
yes, but why would you buy them if you don;t know what they are?
suspension is not a part you want to gamble on, even if they are £50!

I'll show you the pictures when it's done.

they will prob be like the sport struts you get standard so a little stiffer than what you have now.

ye, quattro rears are totally different, and have an Eye bush on both ends, rather than eye on the bottom and pin on the top.

I just wonder if these are facelift rear shocks, but i've never seen a set so i'm not sure.

Hmmm... can't remember seeing the extra 'sticky-outie' bit on the bottom of my coil-overs when I fitted them, and mine's only a 2wd Sport.

but yours IS a facelift...

Facelift shocks are defo different, i just dunno if that particular bush is different...

You still got the old shocks kicking around?

Yeah, I've still got the old shocks/springs and top mounts in the garage at home, but not there to check them at the moment!

Sometimes the bush(aka sticky out bit) comes seperate to the rest of the lower bush, certainley did with my coilies. the difference i remember from facelfit to non facelift is the topmounts are different for sure. I don't see why you would not be able to use the preface tops on them...

is there a way to put that sticky out bit on the shocks i've bought?

This is no more that a spacer for the lower bolt to be able to tighten the bush into the axle, so if you had some thick wall tubing the right length, ot even at a push some washers, i see no problem

There is no such thing as a 1998 facelift model, so if they came from a 98 2wd they are a dirct fit, and probably come with the required spacer tbh. If they are from a later 2wd 1999 and on, i think its just the top mounts that differ, use your parts and you should be fine. But can't say for 100% without you actualy having the parts to hand to check

Last edited:
That's just a spacer to fill the gap between the shock and rear axle. I fitted a few sets of bilstein shocks to a few a4's pre and facelifts and they all had that bush there. Just remember to do one at a time so you put them in the right way otherwise you can bend the shaft...

ok, i've checked the box and there's no spacers there. Are there spacers on the original shocks that i can re-use on the new ones?