Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Talking Superior front bulbs?

Hi all..

Having recently aquired my first non-HID Audi I must say i'm a bit dissapointed with the front light output.

Anyone have any suggestions or preference on front bulbs? I don't want anything that's going to a) cook the wiring or b) saturate the reflector and blind everyone.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    been there done that. tried new philips 55w, tried Osram +85% high outputs, tried 100w (which I have been running for 6 months)
    to be honest doing one light at a time I could not tell which ones were the 35 high output and which were the crap ones I just threw away!

spend some money on a HID kit. too much marketing in the bulb business, not enough difference in product

my 2p

1st Gear

Status
    jcb- thanks.

I think if I was going to HID, i'd go for the OEM stuff not a conversion kit. Not something i'm super fussed about doing at the moment.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The Osram silver stars are as good as you are going to get for a normal bulb. Have you got facelift lights? If so, HId's are you best bet for light output, just be aware without washers and self leveling you are in a grey area of legality

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    you are in a grey area of legality
    Its not really grey at all!

No washers, no auto levelling and HID bulbs fitted to non HID type approved lamps are illegal.

MOT testers have been informed about the upgrade kits by VOSA and are supposed to fail your car with one fitted, as with anything, some do, some dont. You'll probably get away with it if you have the washers and autolevelling fitted, using a conversion kit in the original lamps as its a bit harder to check that.

The bigger worry in my eyes would be if you were to be involved in an accident with them fitted, and the other party was to claim "i was blinded" or something similar, you'd quite likely be over a barrel. An accident caused by you fitting "dangerous" components to your car could be classed as dangerous driving. Its a worst case scenario sure, but your still taking the risk.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    MOT testers have been informed about the upgrade kits by VOSA and are supposed to fail your car with one fitted, as with anything, some do, some dont. You'll probably get away with it if you have the washers and autolevelling fitted, using a conversion kit in the original lamps as its a bit harder to check that.
    Actually, a good friend of mine went on an MOT refresher course the other week (he's been a tester for a long time) and they discussed HID conversion kits and were told you can't fail it if it complies with the relevant beam pattern!

But, as with most organisation of this type, I wouldn't expect them to know their arse from the elbow! Ha ha..

Ultimately though, I hate HID conversions and would never use one. Tacky, improper and ultimately dangerous.

Blow ma own trumpet?

Status
    Have you got facelifts units? I'm got the philips blue in, they're pretty good, but I've never had HiDs so I can't compare.
    Ford Mondeo 2.0i Durtec Ghia X Estate
    Leather / Dog Hair.

Dieselfitter 251
    A4 avant '97 1.9tdi q
    a.k.a. STINKY
    [B]250k!
    ..she's gooooonnnne!!!!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Thats interesting!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

That tells you all you need to know.

If you want to do it legally, you need OE Xenon headlight units, and you need the correct washing and levelling systems fitted.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Thats interesting!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

That tells you all you need to know.

If you want to do it legally, you need OE Xenon headlight units, and you need the correct washing and levelling systems fitted.
    That is doubly-interesting. From previous conversations between VOSA, DVLA and the DfT on other matters, I have come to the conclusion none of them work together!!

However, the person I spoke to a while ago at the DfT said they have internal initiatives to remove modified cars from public roads, so be warned!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfitter251 View Post
    Have you got facelifts units? I'm got the philips blue in, they're pretty good, but I've never had HiDs so I can't compare.
    Not sure, i'm not too familiar with the different ones available. If it helps my car has the two piece lights/indicator package.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by au_sjo View Post
    the DfT said they have internal initiatives to remove modified cars from public roads, so be warned!
    thats me fecked then!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    thats me fecked then!
    It's a very long term thing. The context of my enquiry was the legality of a twin-engined car. I didn't have much luck from any of the organisations. VOSA said "we have to pass them, we have no reason not to" (for SVA), DVLA said "do the conversion and then we'll decide if we're happy with it or not" and DfT said "it's not the kind of thing we want on the road" (not that it really meant anything legally).

Less to say I abandoned the project..

1st Gear

Status
    Got bored today so bought a set of these.. autoexpress reckon they're top.. so we will see!

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    thats what I had.
    put one in, wait till dark then ask your missus or mate to tell you which one is new.

my money says they won't know.
    Becasue when I did mine with the exact same lights it didn't make any difference
    sold them for a tenner at a 20 loss!!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150343690345