B5 door mirror problem!

jcb

Reaction score
some scrote kicked off a mirror last year and I replaced them with a pair of new ones (well second hand ones).
Now I am guessing they must be from an S4 and not from the original A4 style.

long story short, I shook hands with a parked car yesterday and snapped one of the ridiculously snappable electric motor rack peices.
as I had the spares from the old set I replaced the inner motor unit and went to swap out the cracked glass....different!!

I thought the S4/A4 had the same glass!
two different part numbers and significantly different shape

48 (or B?)O 657 535A anyone know if this is an S4 specific glass?
8D0 857 535 D These are off my A4

A4 top
unknown S4 bottom
IMAGE_146.jpg

Sound like pre face lift and face lift to me which is also the same for the S4, it was only the RS4 that had it's own type all together.

As far as I know the glass isn't different between the A4 and S4. The only change occurs with the facelift model B5 which has a different shape mirror cover. I am sure there is a post on here about this though and its something to do with the facelift covers being slightly more angled nearest the window

bolox! means I have very cleverly converted my facelift back to prefacelift!
can't say I noticed but I may have a crack at fixing my facelift ones if that is the case!

What parts you short Ed?

I have some facelift bits kicking around from when i was collecting parts for my Folding mirror conversion

bolox! means I have very cleverly converted my facelift back to prefacelift!
can't say I noticed but I may have a crack at fixing my facelift ones if that is the case!

Will have a check in the loft tomorrow as I am not sure if I still have the original mirror cases from my old facelift

i have two of each.
passenger side case is cracked on my facelift ones

passenger side glass is cracked on my non!!

think I am going to fix the case and refit them with the motors from the non facelift. (stupid plastic motor arm is made of cheese!, breaks if you fart too close to it)

The mirror is to be removed by unscrewing the backing plate off from the bottom via two screws iirc, I broke my plastic motor arm by trying to lever the mirror plate off. Later learnt you take the backing off to access the rear of the mirror plate. I also got lucky and won an internal motor for £4 off ebay.

i got a bit lost up there but if you post the bits you need/want i had perfectly good S4 mirrors (fitted when i bought it) and bought brushed aluminium ones identical as far as i can see an got motors and glass with them so they all fitted without too much problem ie leaving me with two mirror glasses and two motors if there of any use to you (touch wood) i dont need them!

fingers crossed I shouldn't need any bits.

The motor assembly is interchangeable between all B5 units and are not sided. I have two good ones between the four mirrors..

I just need to repair the cracked bottom on my facelift shell which I suspect may even fit the non-facelift chassis that bolts to the door.

I will take you up on your offer if I manage to break the ridiculously breakable motor arms (which annoyingly do not appear to be removable to repair or replace!).

surprised I have managed to go this long without shaking hands with oncoming cars or having some scrote kick one off! luckily I have most of a spare B5 sitting around the house in boxes. such is the life of petrol head!