Just got my S4, thanks for all your help!

Crash

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks to those that helped me find one of these over the last couple of weeks. Just got an Imola yellow S4, completely unmarked inside and out, front suspension arms, discs, pads, 2nd timing belt all changed recently. Got it for £4900. Drove it around 200 miles so far and it drives very nicely indeed.

Only thing Is with it, the engine is makes a wierd sort of like... fan chechchecheche (<<<no idea :O) type sound whenever accelerating. It's not that loud and also when the engine is idle it goes away. I'm a bit worried about this but am getting it checked out at the weekend.

Glad you got your dream car at last! :s4addict:

Be sure to regale us with some nice pictures. :sign_pics:

Get the cams checked,it wont cost any more than a few cam cover gaskets to check if you are handy with a spanner and could potentialy save you a fortune

Have you tried contacting the previous owner to see if they can shed any light on it?

Does it only happen under load, at a certain rev range, dependant on amount of throttle, etc??

Could be something as simple as a loose heatshield.

Previous owner does not recall this sound. It seems to be constantly, no matter what rev range, throttle etc. When the engine is idle however, it goes away.

what if you raise the revs with the car stationary?

can you get someone to hold the throttle open a little while you pinpoint the noise from under the bonnet?

Yeah I tried that with a matey, but from the outside the engine drowns out this noise. You can only hear it from inside the car! And I'm fairly certain it's not anything inside the car making the noise. Real pain, I'm going to try and take it to MRC tomorrow and get it health checked. Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious..........

hmm ye ours has a noise that comes and goes but does the same, audiable whine in the car but under the bonnet its drowned out by the clattering the rest of the motor makes :p

Not a leaf stuck in the heater fan?

My dad had a noise in his Mondeo ST which sounds like that, he was shitting bricks before I found greenery in his vents.......

Good luck and enjoy your car you lucky swine.

What does a helth ceck cost now? Wanna get one done before my Ring trip

MRC do it for £50 atm! I just spanked £300 on new DV's, MAF, temp sensor with the healthcheck and labour.

EDIT: Have had 2 different oppinions on the other issue,a little unsure still as to what this could be. Probably expensive....

ta, hopefully mine should be ok, had new dvs, boost pipes, maf, temp sensors, lambda probes, thermostat, downpipes, exhaust over the last year, just want her checking over before caning er 900+ miles! That's a good price, be stupid not to do it really!

Glad yours is getting there, she'll be sweet before you know it! I've had a knocking noise at the rear for nearly 2 years now, stripped it numerous times, 2 garages have looked at it, replaced everything we could think of! Still not found it!!!!!! But nothing's fallen off or broken yet!

Yeah worth it all the way, Dougs seems a nice bloke! It's looking more and more like a replacement exhaust manifold. I assume engine out is the only way to do the manifold on these? will get rid of that push fit crap and get some welded ones put on if thats the case but I dunno If im ready to pay for an engine lift just yet..