Countil MOT centre - definitely recommended

voteforpedro

Reaction score
Took the Audi to the Council Workshop in Cardiff (off Clare Road) and it passed! He said I did a cracking job on the front suspension. :wub:

He kept it up on the ramp and showed me the suspension and the rear axle. He looked at the drive shaft which I bodged and said it was fine. He even got a spanner on all of the bolts on the front suspension to make sure I torqued them up correctly, a job I was going to do after passing!

He advised me on the rear wheel bearing but said they can be adjusted? He said if I had the lock nut tool on me (which I didn't) he would have adjusted them there and then for me! Shame, but apparently it's an easy job.

Very happy. :)

the rear bearings on a FWD A4 are your standard taper bearings as fitted to trailers and suchlike.

Unlike roller bearings which get tightened to the VERYTIGHT setting, the tapers are tightened to a little more than hand tight and then a split pin it put thru the nut to stop it moving.

You may be able to adjust out the play, it might be an idea though to dissasemble it and check them over/regrease them as if they're worn you dont want them collapsing!

to tighten them, get your friendly 24mm (iirc) socket and a regular ratchet, then "nip up" the nut, and then get a screw driver and see if you can move the thrust washer that sits behind the nut, if it moves, tighten it a smidgen more, and check if it moves again, you want it set so you can JUST move it with normal force, if your having to swing on a 2' long screwdriver to move it its too tight. Once set refit a new split pin and your sorted.