Annoyance of Ambient Temperature

Dave DND

DND Services Ltd
Reaction score
Website
www.dndservices.co.uk
I have a B5 A4 with the full LED information display between the speedo and rev counter - car is new to me, so not quite up on the correct terminology for it all yet.

However, the abmbient temperature that is shown is a good few degrees on the positive side. My other cars all read around the same (ish) but when I was scraping the ice off the other night, I was greeted by +7.5 degrees on the display when it was clearly around 4 or 5 degrees out.

Is there any way to recalibrate the gauge?, is the sensor faulty? Does this ambient sensor affect any fuelling / mixtures? Or am I stuck with it reading wrong? basically what can I do, as if I am going to be confronted by the gauge every time I drive the car, I would rather it was a little nearer to the truth.

Apart from the gauge, its getting me quite hot under the collar as well

Any advice please?

I remember reading somewhere that on the S4/RS4 they often read wrong because of where the sensor was placed (against the undertray) and a fix was to relocate the sensor. Perhaps there's a similar fix for the A4.

Which engine do you have and what year is it?

Can't offer much help about the accuracy of the temperature sensor but if its getting on your nerves you can switch the entire display off and on by pushing on the button on the underside of the wiper stalk................

My sensor is cable tied to the front of the rad onto the power steering cooler. Seems to be a popular relocate for them in my experience